Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> on 2018/12/12 11:10:09 UTC

Camel website

Hi Cameleers,
I've found some time to work on the website and here's the current
status on the progress we made.

We had some great contributions on the new website raging from the
Asciidoctor theme and build for the user manual that Francois
contributed, to the wiki pages migration that Alex, Andrea, Claus,
Gregor, Pascal, Önder, Satyajit, Tadayoshi and Willem did (I'm sorry
if I'm forgetting anyone).

This started as an effort on the `website` branch where I tried to
create a static build of the website using Hugo, a custom-built
wrapper for Asciidoctor and a bunch of Gulp+Webpack tasks to tie it
all together. That resulted in complex, slow to build and, obviously,
for anyone besides me hard to contribute and comprehend ball of mud.

I'm going to abandon that effort, and in turn focus on a (I think)
simpler approach.

The new approach is already looking (to me) much better in terms of
simplicity and maintanability, and I'm about to polish it a bit and
push it so that anyone can take a look and comment on it.

I've focused on a Antora[1] based website build for the User manual
and the Component reference -- this has great benefits of having
support for documentation version out of the box. This way we can have
the component reference built from different Camel versions (release
branches).

It is not without (some, I'd argue small) complexity, I needed to move
files comprising the user manual and I've created a Gulp build that'll
create directory structure Antora expects by creating symlinks from
this directory structure to `component/camel-*/src/main/doc/*.adoc`.
The end result is that we'll have symbolic links in the git
repository, not sure if that's controversial, but it could be
surprising for some. We could also move the component documentation
from component Maven modules into a single Antora directory structure
and that's something we can evaluate as well.

Next, I've build an Antora theme, basically by forking the default
theme and adding fonts and text styling that Francois created for the
ASF Asciidoctor theme. This part still needs a lot of work to make it
look much nicer.

I'm now in the process of combining Hugo for the content besides the
documentation, like main page, release notes, blog/news.

Another thing is that I'll be moving the website from the camel git
repository to the camel-website git repository, which will now contain
the build scripts, all content besides the user manual and the
component documentation and the Antora theme.

I think I'll start merging to the master from the website branch as
soon as the the work stabilizes a bit to help with the visibility of
this work and to make it easier for other contributors to make
changes.

I would like to say that I think we're getting close to the new
website with this new approach, and as always I very much welcome any
comment or any other contribution in this effort. I'll be cleaning up
the JIRA issue[2] and adding more tasks for anyone to pick up.

Nothing is set in stone if anyone has a better idea of going about
this feel free to comment :)

I'll be posting updates on this thread as I progress on this, my goal
is to have a rough version of the website (by rough I mean, some links
not working, very basic design and topology) done by Christmas.

zoran

[1] http://antora.org/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
I've pushed my changes to the `master` of `camel-website`[1], still
really rough, like I mentioned in the previous e-mail I'll work on the
build next and then there will be something to see on the staging site
at https://came.apache.org/staging. I'll post an update when I'm done
with this.

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-website

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to say awesome!  Comments inline.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 13, 2018, at 1:27 AM, Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
> thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
>
>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 7:25 PM David Jencks <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don’t quite understand why, how, or where you are setting up symlinks for the components.  Is there some reason not to put the expected antora directory structure inside each  components expected maven directory structure and assemble them using antora?
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> camel-*/src/main/doc/modules/component/pages/*.adoc
>
> Yeah I've thought about it, that moves the complexity from having a
> single module with ~400 pages of component documentation to having
> ~400 individual modules. We could evaluate that approach but on first
> hand it seems even more complicated with little to gain.

I didn’t quite realize how many components there are. We’d have to automate keeping the list of components in site.yml synchronized with the actual components.  While it would be easy enough to add more symlinks, it might also make it easier to add other resources (pictures, downloads) in using antora conventions.
>> I haven’t set up anything nearly this complicated with antora so I could easily be missing something obvious :-)
>
> Neither have I, so keep the feedback coming, I could be missing a lot
> of details here :)
>
>> If this doesn’t work I’d be tempted to try to patch antora to work with maven directory structure, do you know if this is impractical?
>
> I'm not sure that's the way we'd like to go -- it would make us
> maintainers of a fork, doing symlinks looks like a pragmatic approach
> to me. It's not that much to maintain I think[1].
That is certainly little code to maintain, thanks for pointing it out. I was thinking that supporting maven layout in antora would make antora much more usable directly for java projects so a contribution of such support might be welcome so we wouldn’t have to maintain it. However, I don’t know how open antora devs are to outside contributions.
Thanks!
David Jencks

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi David,

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Önder,
thanks for the feedback!

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:56 AM Onder SEZGIN <on...@apache.org> wrote:
> There is one point i am not %100 sure as we always say that documents will
> be auto-generated from source code in asciidoc format and we also have
> variosu other pages edited manually (especially examples for components).
> After all these, are we going to keep all manually edited pages in
> somewhere or we aim to drop them of from the offical documentation and have
> them in somewhere else.

That's also one of the reasons I think Antora is a good choice. The
only way to build documentation is to version it in source control. So
for examples we can have an additional Antora module just with the
examples. This can then be versioned (or not). I don't see an issue
with having more documentation, manually or auto-generated, I think we
should embrace automation (as we have) on the parts that can be
extracted from the source.

This is somewhat reflected in the why I envisioned the current
documentation being incorporated: user manual is always built from
`master`, and for component documentation we can have one from
`master` and multiple for older (maintained) releases.

I hope this clarifies my position a bit, if it doesn't please let's
keep this conversation going.

> And one note i have in terms of documentation, (there are of course quite a
> lot of books) is that having doc pages around where different integration
> flavours using even small pieces of camel would be very helpful. (of course
> there is also blog posts, tutorials and etc... ). surely having such pages
> and maintaining them will bring lots of doc management issues and maybe
> JIRAs to follow up but in the longer run it will be a great doc base to
> start using camel for devs at any level. and maybe maintaing those doc
> bases with diffferent versions of camel and upgrading and fixing them is
> also a bit of hassle but it will keep track of changes in different
> integration styles and env. (CDI, Blueprint, Spring Boot, Karaf,
> Standalone, Camel-K), etcc... Just an idea which may get deeper ??

That's a good point, keeping the documentation up to date is a big
task we all have to take on. I'm hoping that having it in versioned in
git and with a 'Edit' link on the website that takes you to GitHub
will help drive contributions to the documentation via pull requests.
We should really take care on the new website that this way of
contribution is really smooth and easy.

zoran
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Nicola,
On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started to refactor current Camel K doc for Antora. Results are
> promising, I've rendered them in a temporary site
> https://www.nicolaferraro.me/website-experiments/.
> Website is rendered from [1] using the Antora default template, so I think
> it would look nicer with the official Camel template.

The current template in the `camel-website` git repostory[1] is really
basic adaptation of the default theme, I'll polish it a bit more, at
least by using the color palette from the logo and adding the logo in
the top navigation bar. But this is something I'd like to see
contributions from someone with design skills.

The Hugo theme there is also super basic (well, just a header and a
footer right now), but it loads the Camel Antora UI theme, so any
changes to that will reflect both in the documentation and in the
other website pages.

> The only issue I've found so far is about links. I've used
> xref:module/thefile.adoc to add cross links between pages, but this way
> it's no more possible to navigate the adoc pages on github in [2].

Yeah, I've noticed that also, I think this is one of the core
principles of Antora and it's one that we have to adopt to on our end.
But it also has the great opportunity to link to pages between
modules, so a page from Camel-K can easily point to a page in the user
manual or component reference without knowing the exact URL or path in
the directory structure to it.

> That is fine, but this means we'll switch to Antora-based doc in Camel K
> only when the staging site is available (so we can point users to that from
> the README).

Cool :) I'm seeing some permission issues as I run the
node/antora/yarn/hugo within a Docker container on the build server.
Hope to get that sorted soon.

> Wdyt?

Awesome work, glad it works on Camel in the clouds also :)

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/tree/master/antora-ui-camel
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com>.
I've started to refactor current Camel K doc for Antora. Results are
promising, I've rendered them in a temporary site
https://www.nicolaferraro.me/website-experiments/.
Website is rendered from [1] using the Antora default template, so I think
it would look nicer with the official Camel template.

The only issue I've found so far is about links. I've used
xref:module/thefile.adoc to add cross links between pages, but this way
it's no more possible to navigate the adoc pages on github in [2].
That is fine, but this means we'll switch to Antora-based doc in Camel K
only when the staging site is available (so we can point users to that from
the README).

Wdyt?

Nicola

Refs:
[1]: https://github.com/nicolaferraro/website-experiments
[2]:
https://github.com/nicolaferraro/camel-k/tree/antora/docs/modules/ROOT/pages

Re: Camel website

Posted by Onder SEZGIN <on...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> [...]

> > > component documentation and the Antora theme.
> > >
> > > I think I'll start merging to the master from the website branch as
> > > soon as the the work stabilizes a bit to help with the visibility of
> > > this work and to make it easier for other contributors to make
> > > changes.
> > >
> > > I would like to say that I think we're getting close to the new
> > > website with this new approach, and as always I very much welcome any
> > > comment or any other contribution in this effort. I'll be cleaning up
> > > the JIRA issue[2] and adding more tasks for anyone to pick up.
> > >
> > > Nothing is set in stone if anyone has a better idea of going about
> > > this feel free to comment :)
> > >
> > > I'll be posting updates on this thread as I progress on this, my goal
> > > is to have a rough version of the website (by rough I mean, some links
> > > not working, very basic design and topology) done by Christmas.

Re: Camel website

Posted by ma...@bennet-schulz.de.
Awesome Zoran! Great work!:)

Re: Camel website

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zoran,

Re: Camel website

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 7:28 PM Francois Papon
<fr...@openobject.fr> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I made some design integration on the website based on the new logo,
> it's not fully finished and it's just a proposal.
>
> You can have a preview about the home page here :
>
> https://openobject.fr/camel/
>
> If you like it I'm ready to push my PR and move forward with the
> documentation theme ;)

I like this preview home page, it looks good.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Camel website

Posted by Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com>.
Really awesome!

Had the same issue on mobile, but it looks great on the big screen.

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Nicola,
I'm not too sure if we'd like to point users to the staging site as
the canonical source. We might get into situations that they end up
referencing those URLs when talking/promoting Camel K, and those links
might fail if we change them or at the point they access the staging
might be worst off or not rendering properly at all.

I understand the need for having the reference documentation available
for Camel K, and I'd like to say yes, but I think it would be a
disservice for Camel and Camel K to have bad user experience with the
website.

Can we publish the docs of Camel K rendered with the default or the
Camel branded Antora UI over at GitHub pages for now, would that work?

zoran

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Camel website

Posted by Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com>.
Awesome job, Francois!  That's really modern & cool web site!

Re: Camel website

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Cool!

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
I think we're good with small glitches, it's an iterative process,
let's have something on staging, gather feedback and improve from
there. I don't mind at all if there are cases where it looks broken,
we'll fix it soon enough...

zoran

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Camel website

Posted by Onder SEZGIN <on...@apache.org>.

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi François,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi guys,

Re: Camel website

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Camel website

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 2:48 PM Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Really cool! We have now a good starting point.
>
> How is the build triggered? Is it manual or we can setup some
> automatic/PR-based builds (we have multiple repos)?

Any branch or commit to `master` on `camel-website` git repostory
triggers the build, which reminds me that pushing to staging should
only happen from `master` branch. I need to add triggering of the
website build from the Camel build on changes to the documentation.

zoran
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel website

Posted by Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Camel website

Re: Camel website

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Nicola Ferraro <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, the approach seems good!
>
> I'll start to prepare Camel K to provide documentation in the form Antora
> expects, so we can merge it in the main Camel website. We already have some
> doc pages in the .adoc format, we need to organize them better.
>
> Nicola

Ah that sounds really good so we can better position Apache Camel and
Camel K together.

Looking forward to see the new website progress over the coming weeks
and see it online on the staging site.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------