Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com> on 2019/10/20 05:44:11 UTC

Re: How to update the JSPWiki Wiki (RE-revisited!)

I created a new JIRA (JSPWIKI-1119) to track my intended first of
several changes to the wiki, in which I would like to address the
installation advice.

Your previous advice (below) is still valid. jspwiki-site contains some
of the content, but not the pages of interest to me at this time.

I wanted to work in a "top down" direction, so my first task seemed to
be trivial. I believe it should be very easy for new visitors to make
progress. It is easy to find the "Downloads" page, but not so easy to
find the "Getting Started" page. (Of course, you can search for it - but
that assumes you already know the name, or some unique content, of the
page.)

I would like to put a link to "getting Started" on the Main page left
menu, and add it with some extra text to the Downloads page.

I successfully logged on to the new Apache Infra LDAP-enabled JIRA
system with my apache developer credentials to create my JIRA, so that
was encouraging.

Next, I logged on to the JSPWiki wiki itself, which confusingly is not
LDAP enabled (my own personal jspwiki is!) and so I have to use a
different set of credentials.

I loaded the three pages of immediate interest, but the edit option is
greyed out and I see a "no entry" sign when I move my mouse over it.

My roles are "all" and "authenticated", but my userid does not appear in
any of the groups that I can see.

Because I don't have the source for the pages, I can't easily send you
diffs to apply for me.

Anyone could make the high-level changes for me. However, my plan after
this initial change is for fairly major surgery on the "Getting Started"
page.

It needs updating to reflect java8 and tomcat8, as well as some advice
about systemd for linux users. I feel the "Getting Started" page should
be trimmed down a lot, but then have it link to several separate pages
relevant to different classes of users (e.g. Quick Evaluation, Simple,
Persistent External Content, Production, Customisation).

I would raise a separate JIRA to track my work on the "Getting Started"
changes.

Would it make sense to authorise my JSPWiki userid (case sensitive
BrianB) for online updates to the production wiki content? After all, I
guess it uses the VersioningFileprovider and so wouldn't be too
difficult to back out my changes if someone doesn't like them.

As you can tell from the elapsed time associated with this thread, I
struggle to find time to contribute to the project. However, I am
actively working (part-time) on my own tomcat and JSPWiki upgrades, so
it is relatively easy for me to share my experiences (both painful and
successful).

Regards,

Brian

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 4/11/19 2:27 am, Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Txs for being persistent !

I /hate/ walking away from something that ought to work, even if I can't
figure out how to fix it. I am pleased you don't think I was making too
much of a fuss.

> Apparently I made an error  when building the new Gardener group.
>
> Adding members to the group needs to be done by separating the names with a
> carriage return.  (as indicated in the text)
>
> However,  I added the members by separating them with a comma.
> Actually, I copied the Admin group when creating the Gardener group. (the
> list contains COMMA's)
> Unfortunately, JSPWiki doesn't throw an error for this incorrect entry.
>
> I did fix the group now.
> Please try again,  you should be ok to edit pages with the GARDENER ACL.
> Also you should be able to modify the GARDENER group.

That worked perfectly, Dirk!

After logging on I displayed my profile and was pleased to see my Group
membership had changed from none to Gardener.

I then moused over the Edit option on the Getting Started page without
seeing the no entry sign. I went into the page editor and then cancelled
- simply because I am not sufficiently prepared to begin the
page-splitting work.

I am satisfied that I can now do the work I intended, so "the ball is
back in my court"!

Well done!

Brian

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

Txs for being persistent !

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
<snippet>
> With my own wiki, which uses LDAP authentication and authorisation, I
> restrict the use of Edit.jsp so it can only be executed by the users
> assigned to the correct role.
>
> Is something like that happening with my failed attempts when accessing
> the JSPWiki wiki non-LDAP configuration?
>
> Just a thought...

No, this is not the case on apache-jspwiki site,  which uses the build-in
permission rule mechanism of jspwiki itself.

dirk

Re: How to update the JSPWiki Wiki (RE-revisited!)

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 24/10/19 10:01 am, Brian Burch wrote:
> On 22/10/19 6:09 am, Dirk Frederickx wrote:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> I've created a new "Gardener" group on the jspwiki-site;  and included
>> user
>> BrianB (and all administrators).

<snip/>

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 22/10/19 6:09 am, Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I've created a new "Gardener" group on the jspwiki-site;  and included user
> BrianB (and all administrators).

Thanks very much, Dirk.

I logged on this morning and saw you have been busy on my behalf.

I quickly confirmed my userid (case sensitive) was on the members list
for the new Gardener group.

I could also see you had added "Getting Started" to the Left Menu on the
Main page, which was all I wanted to achieve. Therefore, I agree there
was no point in assigning [{ALLOW edit Gardener}] to this page source.

I apologise for overlooking the fact that the Left Menu is propagated to
all wiki pages, so I was satisfied there is no need to modify its
editing permission.

> The LeftMenu and the GettingStarted pages are now editable for this group.

I can see the source of these two pages contain [{ALLOW edit Gardener}],
so thank you. I could also confirm the updates were made by you by
inspecting the page change histories.

However, I am puzzled by the fact that "Edit" on both these pages
(between View and More) is still greyed-out. When I move my mouse over
the "Edit" widget, google chrome displays a No Entry sign.

How am I supposed to edit the Getting Started page? Am I just being stupid?

> If you'd like to update other protected pages,  please let me know.

As I mentioned before, I prefer an approach that changes Getting Started
to become a summary page, with links off to several new pages, each for
different levels of sophistication.

As a member of the Gardener group, do I have the right to create new
pages on the production wiki?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.