Posted to zeta-dev@incubator.apache.org by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> on 2011/04/13 20:16:41 UTC

[zeta-dev] Update on the wiki

Hi,

I finally found some time to investigate on the wiki some more. As it
turned out, Confluence is not capable of handling the scenario we
discussed a while ago here. :(

Therefore I suggest to only use the wiki for internal purposes for now.
As a first step I create an RFC section where we can keep track of
important and long-going discussions (like the current one on a build
system). Jerome will try this out here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZETACOMP/Build+system

By now, only the group "zetacomponents-committers" has write access to
the wiki. I currently desire to add a "zetacomponents-developers" group
and to permit write access to it, so we can have any member of this list
contributing.

Please speak up, if you disagree.

Cheers,
Toby

--
Tobias Schlitt        http://schlitt.info        GPG Key: 0xC462BC14
Want to hire me? Need quality assurance?            http://qafoo.com

Re: [zeta-dev] Update on the wiki

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
On 04/15/2011 12:41 AM, Gav... wrote:

>>> Do you have to use Confluence for this?

>> No, I think there is at least 1 other wiki system, but I'm not sure which one
>> and if it can better suite our needs. I'll check that.

> the other one we have is moinmoin and is completely open wiki.
>
> wiki.apache.org

OK, so confluence is the most suitable option for us, I think.

Thanks for the info, Gavin.

Regards,
Toby

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Gav...

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.

Posted by Luc Chase <lu...@lucchase.com>.

--
Luc.
M. +44.7040-901-582

Re: [zeta-dev] Update on the wiki

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi Maxime,

On 04/14/2011 11:26 AM, Maxime Thomas wrote:

> I think it's a bit restrictive to permit only commiters to access this tool,
> which has to be shared with everybody.
> I understand that there's a ring of commiters, knowing the value and skills
> of each others, trying to protect the project and the source code.
> I think it's a good point to have these guys, specially because they have
> made all the work so far.

that is not the intention. We discussed usage of a wiki earlier here on
the list, but the scenario, where certain areas of the wiki are open for
everyone, is not realizable in Confluence by now.

Therefore I proposed to leave it closed and try out if and how we use
it, before taking further steps.

As a next step I'd propose to create a "zetacomponents-developers" group
in the wiki, which would have full permissions, and add all people from
the mailinglist, who want to have access.

What we want to avoid is pollution of the wiki with unstructured
content, which is the basic problem with all wikis.

> However, AZC community needs to open up and let some people get in so we can
> democratize the product.

> Like I'm not a commiter and I would like to share what I've learned from AZC
> with others, I won't be able to share in a formal way through the AZC Wiki.
> The worst point is to work for all this, to spend time and finally to have
> nothing at the end.

> Maybe we have a trust scale to define with intermediate levels between noone
> and commiter.

I fully agree with your arguments and the ASF even forces us to go this
way. I'm all up for the solution proposed above if nobody objects. Would
that satisfy you?

Regards,
Toby

Posted by Maxime Thomas <ma...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/13 Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>

> Hi,
>
> I finally found some time to investigate on the wiki some more. As it
> turned out, Confluence is not capable of handling the scenario we
> discussed a while ago here. :(
>
> Therefore I suggest to only use the wiki for internal purposes for now.
> As a first step I create an RFC section where we can keep track of
> important and long-going discussions (like the current one on a build
> system). Jerome will try this out here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZETACOMP/Build+system
>
> By now, only the group "zetacomponents-committers" has write access to
> the wiki. I currently desire to add a "zetacomponents-developers" group
> and to permit write access to it, so we can have any member of this list
> contributing.
>
> Please speak up, if you disagree.
>
> Cheers,
> Toby