Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mukerjee, Neiloy (Neil)" <ne...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2009/06/17 19:35:39 UTC

Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

When trying to integrate Tomcat 6.0.20 and Solr 1.3.0, I get the below error after trying to view the Solr admin page.

I downloaded Tomcat from the Apache website, and its installation went well, as indicated by the fact that I can see the Apache Tomcat page in my browser when typing in my IP address and indicating port 8080. I then downloaded the nightly build of Solr and tried to integrate the two by putting the solr.war file in the Tomcat webapps directory and copying the /example/solr/ directory from Solr to the /solr/ directory in Tomcat. At this point, when trying to access the Solr admin page from my browser, the below message is displayed (and it appears in the log files for Tomcat).

The file solrconfig.xml is in /solr/conf/ in the Tomcat directory, but I'm not sure how to interpret the current working directory, and Googling this error hasn't led me in any direction. Any suggestions as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

SEVERE: Could not start SOLR. Check solr/home property
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or 'solr/conf/', cwd=/usr/local/tomcat6.0.20/conf
            at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.openResource(SolrResourceLoader.java:197)
            at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.openConfig(SolrResourceLoader.java:165)
            at org.apache.solr.core.Config.<init>(Config.java:101)
            at org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig.<init>(SolrConfig.java:123)
            at org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig.<init>(SolrConfig.java:80)
            at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer.initialize(CoreContainer.java:126)
            at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.java:83)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:275)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:397)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:108)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3800)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4450)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:771)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:526)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:850)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:724)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:493)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1274)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:296)
            at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1337)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1601)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1610)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1590)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mukerjee, Neiloy (Neil) wrote:

The file solrconfig.xml is in /solr/conf/ in the Tomcat directory, but
I'm not sure how to interpret the current working directory, and
Googling this error hasn't led me in any direction. Any suggestions as
to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe to the Solr list ?

Not the expert here, but looking at your description, haven't you at
some point put something under /examples/solr/, and something else
directly under /solr/ ?  Isn't that your problem ?

Re: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container
>>
>> In French, Chance is a woman.
>
> Any response to that is bound to get someone in trouble...

For good balance though, Malchance is also of the feminine persuasion.

RE: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container
>
> In French, Chance is a woman.

Any response to that is bound to get someone in trouble...

 - Chuck

Re: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> Bonjour

> Bon Chance
> Martin

Martin,
the correct spelling is "Bonne Chance".
In French, Chance is a woman.

RE: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Bonjour

looking for solr configuration file solrconfig.xml
i would ask the folks at solr about this as they could send you or at least suggest

a working solrconfig.xml configuration is available at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/mailing_lists.html
A few years back I worked with Lucene and i remember having to supply the *correct* grammar files

Keep us apprised,
Bon Chance
Martin
Note de déni et de confidentialité

Posted by "Mukerjee, Neiloy (Neil)" <ne...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
The issue was indeed in the Java options in the startup file for Tomcat. In order to fix the issue, all I had to do was go to /etc/init.d/, edit the Tomcat startup file to include: explort JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dsolr.solr.home=/usr/local/tomcat6.0.20/solr", and restart Tomcat.
Thank you!

> The file solrconfig.xml is in /solr/conf/ in the Tomcat directory

That wording is a bit ambiguous, since it's not clear what you mean by "the Tomcat directory"; give us the full path to solrconfig.xml.  Note that depending on some particular current directory in order to resolve relative paths is rather risky.

> SEVERE: Could not start SOLR. Check solr/home property

What is the "solr/home property"?  If it's a Java system property, set it via JAVA_OPTS before starting Tomcat, with a value of the *absolute* path to whatever Solr wants.

 - Chuck

RE: Error with Solr configuration in Tomcat container

Posted by "Mukerjee, Neiloy (Neil)" <ne...@alcatel-lucent.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.