Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ziggy <zi...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/13 09:50:25 UTC

Multiple tomcat instances

Hi,

I have set up multiple Tomcat instances using the multiple CATALINA_BASE
approach. Everything works fine but i have two issues that i need
clarification on. I am currently using Tomcat 5.5

1. When i have created the new folders that $CATALINA_BASE will point to,
which files do i need to copy to the 'conf' folder. I have tested this and
found that it works fine if i just move the web.xml and server.xml file.

My question is do i need to copy the other files as well (i.e.
catalina.policy, catalina.properties, context.xml, logging.properties,
server-minimal.xml). What is the best thing to do, should i copy all the
files from $TOMCAT_HOME/conf to CATALINA_BASE/conf?. I guess it would be
usefull if i can find out exactly what each of these files are for. is there
a file that i definately need to copy other than the web.xml and server.xml?

2. I had a second question but my mind just went completely blind! Ill
update the email when i remember it. Madness i know :)

RE: Multiple tomcat instances

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Ziggy [mailto:ziggy25@gmail.com]
> Subject: Multiple tomcat instances
>
> 1. When i have created the new folders that $CATALINA_BASE will
> point to, which files do i need to copy to the 'conf' folder. I
> have tested this and found that it works fine if i just move the
> web.xml and server.xml file.

"Works fine" in this case just means you didn't detect anything immediately wrong.  All of the conf directory needs to be copied to each CATALINA_BASE instance.

> 2. I had a second question but my mind just went completely blind! Ill
> update the email when i remember it. Madness i know :)

Time to start the weekend...

 - Chuck