Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/01/18 19:48:00 UTC

M2 - Thoughts on content, branching and other stuff - feedback requested

I've been traveling this week a little bit and apologize for being
tardy in catching everyone up on M2.

Based on the commit log it appears that Dain and Mr. Blevins pulled a
little rabbit out of the hat called EJB 3.0.  Ok, the fur is a little
muttled and it might be missing an ear but it really does look like a
rabbit :)

In keeping with the mantra of release early and often we originally
had talked about getting M2 out by the end of January.  I had
proposed the 26th and it still might be doable depending on where we
get to.  From the release notes prepared by Hernan (thanks sir) here
are the items we wanted to get into M2.  Some of the items below are
already included and some are in process.

Enterprise Application Technologies
Common Annotations for the Java Platform 	Annotations 1.0 	JSR 250
New for Java EE 5.0 	Geronimo implementation
Enterprise JavaBeans 				EJB 3.0 		JSR 220	Upgrade from EJB 2.1
OpenEJB implementation
     *  JPA
           o Custom Provider
           o App-managed,
           o Container-managed
     *  OpenEJB 3,0 Geronimo integration
     *  Annotation-based Deployment
     *  POJO-Style Beans
     *  Dependency Injection
     *  Extended JNDI and DI types??
     *  EJB 3.0 examples

Management
Java EE Application Deployment 	App Deploy 1.2 	JSR 88 	Maintenance
Update from App Deploy 1.1 	Geronimo implementation

Web Services - Axis2
Java Architecture for XML Binding 	JAXB 2.0 	JSR 222 	New for Java EE
5.0 	Glassfish implementation
Java API for XML Registries 		JAXR 1.0 	JSR 93 		Same as J2EE 1.4
Already available
Streaming API for XML 			STAX 1.0 	JSR 173 	New for Java EE 5.0
Woodstox implementation

Web Services - CXF
Java API for XML-Based Web Services 	JAX-WS 2.0 	JSR 224 	New for
Java EE 5.0 	CXF implementation 	(Pojo Only)
Java Architecture for XML Binding 	JAXB 2.0 	JSR 222 	New for Java EE
5.0 	Glassfish implementation
Java API for XML-Based RPC 		JAX-RPC 1.1 	JSR 101 	Same as J2EE 1.4
Axis1 implementation
Java API for XML Registries 		JAXR 1.0 	JSR 93 		Same as J2EE 1.4
Already available
Streaming API for XML 			STAX 1.0 	JSR 173 	New for Java EE 5.0
Woodstox implementation

Based on the above perhaps we can branch on Monday around 1700
Eastern time and package up what we have there.  From a user
perspective I think we should be able to deploy the EJB samples that
Prasad and Hernan put together.  If we can do that even though they
are simple it would certainly let people see that the train continues
to move.

So this now brings me to the question of assemblies.  For M1 we
shipped Tomcat and Jetty versions with CXF and OpenJPA.  As we talked
about in another thread there isn't really a way to generate all the
permutations of different assemblies I think for M2 we would ship the
same configurations and in parallel have a discussion on packaging
for when we get to the beta's so that users and better pick the
versions of the software they want.

Comments, feedback, on this plan?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: M2 - Thoughts on content, branching and other stuff - feedback requested

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I'm OK with shipping the same configurations for M2 but we really
should have a serious discussion on our packaging strategy.

I think we will be opening ourselves to a lot of grief if we took upon
the responsibility of TCK'ing every permutation and combination that
there is. We can "claim support" by configuring and testing many
combinations, individually. We can even assemble a few different
combinations for downloads but Geronimo should TCK only ONE. A user
should always be able to modify his combination. But that is
discussion for another thread.

For now, I'll look forward to the excitement of releasing M2 !!!

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a reasonable plan.  +1 for keeping delivering the same
assemblies we did for M1.

-sachin

Re: M2 - Thoughts on content, branching and other stuff - feedback requested

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/18/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> So this now brings me to the question of assemblies.  For M1 we
> shipped Tomcat and Jetty versions with CXF and OpenJPA.  As we talked
> about in another thread there isn't really a way to generate all the
> permutations of different assemblies I think for M2 we would ship the
> same configurations and in parallel have a discussion on packaging
> for when we get to the beta's so that users and better pick the
> versions of the software they want.

This makes a lot of sense to me for M2.  As I recall a patch was
posted on dev that allows users to enable axis.  Since someone has
already asked about axis support in M2 perhaps that patch should be
offered in a more conspicuous  area.

For the beta, I think giving the users a choice is the best approach
as long as we:
  1.) provide reasonable and TCK tested defaults
 2.) help them make informed decisions about changing the defaults
 3.) make it easy to enact their decisions
 4.) allow them to change their minds

Providing all the permutations of different assemblies for download
doesn't meet any of those criteria, except for maybe #3.  Offering a
single assembly that has passed TCK and the alternate modules as
plugins may get us closer to the mark.

Best wishes,
Paul