Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/11 05:54:06 UTC

[General]Do we need an instruction of trying HDK on applications?

Hi all,
I have not found a guideline or instruction for trying hdk on
applications. And I think something like "how to try harmony on
applications" will do some help for those who have interest in this
job. These days I'm struggling on running Apache Ant on Harmony and
get some experience. Let me post these points as a start :)
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Download the application code, record its revision.(If a stable
version is preferred here?)
Verify latest hdk via,
1. If there are tests of the application, run the tests on RI and
Harmony and record the difference.
2. If there are examples supplied, try to get them working on harmony
to see if there is unexpected behavior.
3. Do some simple trial like real customer following the application's
installation/user-guide.
Post what and how you did on harmony wiki,
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary
Dive into the result to find if it is a bug of Harmony. Raise JIRA or
post on mailing list if necessary.

something needs attention,
1.Make sure you are running right JDK.
2.Record any special settings&steps on harmony wiki.

Suggestions? Comments? Additions?

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [General]Do we need an instruction of trying HDK on applications?

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Tony Wu 写道:
> Hi all,
> I have not found a guideline or instruction for trying hdk on
> applications. And I think something like "how to try harmony on
> applications" will do some help for those who have interest in this
> job. These days I'm struggling on running Apache Ant on Harmony and
> get some experience. Let me post these points as a start :)
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Download the application code, record its revision.(If a stable
> version is preferred here?)
> Verify latest hdk via,
> 1. If there are tests of the application, run the tests on RI and
> Harmony and record the difference.
> 2. If there are examples supplied, try to get them working on harmony
> to see if there is unexpected behavior.
> 3. Do some simple trial like real customer following the application's
> installation/user-guide.
> Post what and how you did on harmony wiki,
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary
> Dive into the result to find if it is a bug of Harmony. Raise JIRA or
> post on mailing list if necessary.
>
> something needs attention,
> 1.Make sure you are running right JDK.
> 2.Record any special settings&steps on harmony wiki.
>
> Suggestions? Comments? Additions?

+1

Best regards

--
Spark Shen

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Sounds like the right approach, thanks Tony.

Regards,
Tim

Tony Wu wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have not found a guideline or instruction for trying hdk on
> applications. And I think something like "how to try harmony on
> applications" will do some help for those who have interest in this
> job. These days I'm struggling on running Apache Ant on Harmony and
> get some experience. Let me post these points as a start :)
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Download the application code, record its revision.(If a stable
> version is preferred here?)
> Verify latest hdk via,
> 1. If there are tests of the application, run the tests on RI and
> Harmony and record the difference.
> 2. If there are examples supplied, try to get them working on harmony
> to see if there is unexpected behavior.
> 3. Do some simple trial like real customer following the application's
> installation/user-guide.
> Post what and how you did on harmony wiki,
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary
> Dive into the result to find if it is a bug of Harmony. Raise JIRA or
> post on mailing list if necessary.
>
> something needs attention,
> 1.Make sure you are running right JDK.
> 2.Record any special settings&steps on harmony wiki.
>
> Suggestions? Comments? Additions?

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [General]Do we need an instruction of trying HDK on applications?

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/06, Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have not found a guideline or instruction for trying hdk on
> applications. And I think something like "how to try harmony on
> applications" will do some help for those who have interest in this
> job. These days I'm struggling on running Apache Ant on Harmony and
> get some experience. Let me post these points as a start :)
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Download the application code, record its revision.(If a stable
> version is preferred here?)
> Verify latest hdk via,
> 1. If there are tests of the application, run the tests on RI and
> Harmony and record the difference.
> 2. If there are examples supplied, try to get them working on harmony
> to see if there is unexpected behavior.
> 3. Do some simple trial like real customer following the application's
> installation/user-guide.
> Post what and how you did on harmony wiki,
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary
> Dive into the result to find if it is a bug of Harmony. Raise JIRA or
> post on mailing list if necessary.
>
> something needs attention,
> 1.Make sure you are running right JDK.
> 2.Record any special settings&steps on harmony wiki.
>
> Suggestions? Comments? Additions?

IMHO, it should be very helpful to users. ;-)

> --
> Tony Wu
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

Richard Liang