Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jack Repenning <ja...@tigris.org> on 2008/07/05 20:52:46 UTC

Is it acceptable to post release announcements for "third-party"
Subversion clients to users@?

I've just released a new version of SCPlugin (the Mac OS X Finder plug-
in for Subversion), which includes SVN 1.5 support:

   http://scplugin.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=771

Can I post a brief announcement to users@subversion?  I was thinking
of something along the same lines as I sent to my own "announce@" list:

   http://scplugin.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=6

-==-
Jack Repenning
jackrepenning@tigris.org
Project Owner
SCPlugin
http://scplugin.tigris.org
"Subversion for the rest of OS X"

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>> I don't seen any problem with posting an announcement to users@, but
>> have you considered posting to announce@?  Looking at the archives, it
>> appears that that list has been used for this purpose many times in
>> the past, and I think there's nothing wrong with using it for
>> third-party Subversion-related announcements now.
>
> Those are older posts, some of them accidentally moderated through.  I
> think our policy has been to announce only Subversion itself and its
> binary packages there; this has been pretty consistent in recent years,
> except, again, for a few accidental mis-moderations.

Fair 'nuff.

>> As an aside, the mailing lists page seems to have forgotten about the
>> announce@ list, perhaps we should remind it?

> ...but maybe that section should be moved higher up?

...or maybe I should just grow another pair of eyes. :)

-Hyrum

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Jack Repenning <ja...@tigris.org> writes:
> Is it acceptable to post release announcements for "third-party"
> Subversion clients to users@?

Absolutely.

This is definitely part of the users@ charter -- go for it!