Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Erik Jensen <ej...@novell.com> on 2007/09/13 21:00:10 UTC

NMaven.Plugin.Solution and Mono Bug 82711

Shane,

So I was told today by the mono group that the app domain manger functionality is a missing feature in mono and that "it would take a considerable amount of effort to implement and test at the expense of other features in our VM that are likely more important". So it's looking like we are stuck in regards to getting the plugin to work in mono unless we can implement a workaround. I just wanted to pass on the info.

Thanks,

Erik

Re: NMaven.Plugin.Solution and Mono Bug 82711

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Prior to rolling out the .NET plugin framework, the Java side invoked an
executable and the executable was responsible for reading some custom
parameters (messages) passed by the Java process and translating them. In
fact, I left the resx plugin as an executable to maintain this critical
piece of functionality with Mono. This is obviously a maintenance nightmare
due to the variability of the messages, but that is an option.  I do have a
proposal for standardizing this messages:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/General+Framework+for+Writing+Non-Java+Plugins
so
it may be worth working that out first.

I do think that we could come up with something that is less flexible than
the current plugin framework - in regards to customizing the CLR - but will
still work in supporting writing of plugins in .NET. My guess is it would be
better to maintain two different loaders, one for Mono (a more limited
version) and one for Microsoft.

Thanks for following up on this,

Shane