Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2000/02/01 01:31:19 UTC

Re: Is DTD-info not stored during parsing?

Born Franz wrote:
> When I start DOMPrint on the samples\data\personal.xml in the output the
> line regarding the DTD is missing.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ASCII"?>
> <!DOCTYPE personnel SYSTEM "personal.dtd">   <-- missing

You're not missing anything -- it doesn't print the DTD. While
our implementation has getSystemId() and getPublicId(), these
methods only come into use in DOM Level 2. When those samples
were written, those methods didn't exist on the DocumentType
node, if I remember correctly.

To enable this, we must either assume that the DOM wrapper
used to parse the document is DOM 2 compliant, or use Java
reflection to see if those methods exist on the implementation
and then call them. We do the latter on the XML serializers
implementation in order to write the DOCTYPE line.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org