Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/03/07 14:07:27 UTC

Status of NetBeans Apache process

Hi all,

The review of the 'releases' repository continues to be in progress.

So far, six out of 11 clusters that constitute a basic Java IDE
(nb.cluster.bootstrap, nb.cluster.platform,  nb.cluster.harness,
nb.cluster.ide, nb.cluster.extide, nb.cluster.websvccommon) have been
reviewed, one is in progress, and 4 are yet to be reviewed.

The review progress is tracked here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+Transition

At the current pace of two days per cluster on average, the review of the
remaining 4-5 clusters comprising basic Java IDE functionality would be
completed by March 17th.

At the same time, comments received from the review are being incorporated.

Another aspect to deal with as we come closer to the end of the review of
the code for the first donation (i.e., 5a-d in the document above) is the
code that has been written in the time since the review started. I.e., the
code being reviewed is currently behind the current status of the code at
hg.netbeans.org, i.e., it is in a separate code review repository. The most
likely approach to take will be that after the code in 5a-d has been
reviewed, the additional code that has been written in the meantime (mostly
related to new features to support JDK 9) will also be reviewed and once
that review has been completed, the 1st code donation will be done. In that
way, we will make sure the most current state of the Java-related parts of
NetBeans will be donated to Apache in the 1st code donation. (A different
approach would be to do some smaller subsequent code donations, though
we're trying to avoid that and keep things as coherent as possible.)

Gj

Re: Status of NetBeans Apache process

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
A follow up to the above report, following from a meeting held today, is
that it only makes sense to review the code that has been written since the
code review started, which we want to include in the 1st code donation,
when NetBeans IDE 9 is feature complete. That is scheduled to be April 18.

On that date, the review will start of the code that has been written since
the code review started, which was December last year. We don't expect that
code review to take a very long time, also because we can anticipate the
kind of review comments that will come out of the review, based on those
that have come out of the initial review of the code.

That should mean that the code constituting the 1st code donation (i.e.,
the three small repositories 'html4j', 'jackpot30', and 'community-xml',
together with the Java SE IDE clusters from the 'releases' repository)
should be ready to be donated to Apache at the end of April or during May.

We could, in principle, decide to do the 1st code donation without the code
that has been written since December, though that would result in a Java SE
IDE that would not be ready to support Java 9. We'd rather have the initial
code donation focus on a specific quantifiable feature set, i.e.,
specifically Java SE and specifically targeted at Java 9. In addition, we
wouldn't be able to do the 1st code donation right away, i.e., in parallel
to the additional code review of newly written code, the code review from
the initially reviewed code is currently being processed, i.e., copyright
notices are being added and problematic areas are being identified for
handling prior to the 1st code donation.

The road is long. With many a winding turn. That leads us to Apache.

Gj

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.