Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/14 14:03:31 UTC

[CAMEL 3] Java 8 and Java 11 discussion

Hello,

In the other thread about moving the master branch to 3.x, we started a discussion around the Java supported version for Camel 3.

Lets discuss this argument here.

Thanks.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Re: [CAMEL 3] Java 8 and Java 11 discussion

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think for the average the enterprise JDK user they may still use JDK
8 for a very long time.
If we start the Camel 3.x to support JDK 11,  it doesn't mean that we
have to drop the backward compatibility of JDK 8.
Spring has good backward compatibility for JDK 6,7,8[1]. It could be
useful if we can still provide the backward compatibility in Camel 3.x
and if we cannot do that we need to drop a line for it (it depends how
may new feature of JDK 11 we use).

It could be great, if we have a clean roadmap of JDK8, JDK11 support time.

[1]https://spring.io/blog/2015/04/03/how-spring-achieves-compatibility-with-java-6-7-and-8

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

The timing is good to bind on Java 11 for camel 3.

Regards,
Alex

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [CAMEL 3] Java 8 and Java 11 discussion

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
It's a great news.  +1 build Camel 3 on top of Java 11.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
+1 for java 11 only.

btw, netty is doing / thinking about a similar "jump" for netty 5

---
Luca Burgazzoli

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--