Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Correia <ri...@ugamsolutions.com> on 2003/12/29 19:57:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Too many open files

Hi,

I have apache 1.3.23 on red hat 7 platform.

My JSP engine is giving me error saying "Too many open files in system".

When I do
[www1@www bin]$ netstat -n | wc -l
   5260

How will I know which daemon is eating my all open file descriptors.

Thanks
Rich

Re: [users@httpd] Too many open files

Posted by Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
Richard Correia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have apache 1.3.23 on red hat 7 platform.
>
> My JSP engine is giving me error saying "Too many open files in system".
>
> When I do
> [www1@www bin]$ netstat -n | wc -l
>    5260
>
> How will I know which daemon is eating my all open file descriptors.
>

> Thanks
> Rich

You need to increase the number of available file descriptors for your
OS.  "ulimit -n 1000000" for the user may work.  There are also some
kernel properties you may need to modify in the /proc filesystem.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

RE: [users@httpd] Too many open files

Posted by Ben Yau <by...@cardcommerce.com>.
> Subject: [users@httpd] Too many open files
>

> Hi,
>
> I have apache 1.3.23 on red hat 7 platform.
>
> My JSP engine is giving me error saying "Too many open files in system".
>
> When I do
> [www1@www bin]$ netstat -n | wc -l
>    5260
>
> How will I know which daemon is eating my all open file descriptors.
>

> Thanks
> Rich

Hi.

Perhaps you're looking for "lsof" command .  That tells you what open files
a process has . I think each apache/httpd process takes the same number of
files open and it may be a matter of too many daemons started?

Anyway, lsof is a good place to look.

lsof | sort -n +7 -8 | grep -v [and the process you're looking for, apache]

sort -n +7 -8 will sort lsof output by process ID

Hope that's what you're looking for.

Ben Y