Posted to commits@myfaces.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/02/16 09:27:12 UTC

[Myfaces Wiki] Trivial Update of "adfproposal" by ManfredGeiler

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Myfaces Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by ManfredGeiler:
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/adfproposal

The comment on the change is:
escaped non-links

- '''Proposal for ADF Faces, a MyFaces subproject'''
+ '''Proposal for ADF Faces, a !MyFaces subproject'''
  6 February 2006, The ADF Faces Team (contributions by: Adam Winer, awiner at gmail dot com; john dot r dot fallows at gmail dot com)
  ----

  '''(0) rationale'''

- Apache MyFaces strives to provide an environment where open source developers can create new components and contribute them back to the community.
+ Apache !MyFaces strives to provide an environment where open source developers can create new components and contribute them back to the community.

- The goal of ADF Faces is to provide web application developers with a rich set of user interface components based on the JavaServer Faces specification.
+ The goal of ADF Faces is to provide web application developers with a rich set of user interface components based on the !JavaServer Faces specification.

  ADF Faces comes with very high quality components, a dialog framework, as well as personalization and skinning capabilities. ADF Faces features include: file upload support, client-side validation, partial rendering of a page (AJAX-style), data tables, hierarchical tables, color/date pickers, progress indicators, menu tabs/buttons, wizards, internationalization and accessibility. A complete list of the ADF Faces components is available (here.) This project starts with more than 100 components which have already been documented and thoroughly tested.

- ADF Faces is a temporary name for this project, what it will be called in the future is yet to be determined by the Apache MyFaces community.
+ ADF Faces is a temporary name for this project, what it will be called in the future is yet to be determined by the Apache !MyFaces community.
- ADF Faces development started in 2001. Initial development took place outside the Apache Software Foundation, therefore the ADF Faces team and MyFaces are applying for incubation.
+ ADF Faces development started in 2001. Initial development took place outside the Apache Software Foundation, therefore the ADF Faces team and !MyFaces are applying for incubation.

  '''(0.1) criteria'''

@@ -23, +23 @@

  ''Community: ''

- The MyFaces project and the JavaServer Faces standard hold great promise. A rich set of UI components will significantly accelerate their adoption. We strongly believe that ADF Faces will gather significant momentum and enough developers to build a vibrant community of users and contributors. We look forward to seeing more components "blossom" as part of the Apache MyFaces project.
+ The !MyFaces project and the !JavaServer Faces standard hold great promise. A rich set of UI components will significantly accelerate their adoption. We strongly believe that ADF Faces will gather significant momentum and enough developers to build a vibrant community of users and contributors. We look forward to seeing more components "blossom" as part of the Apache !MyFaces project.

  ''Core Developers:''

- ADF Faces was developed by five Oracle employees including Adam Winer (active member of the JavaServer Faces expert group since day one) and John Fallows co-author of “Pro JSF and Ajax”. Developers have filed the Contribution License Agreement. Oracle has also filed the Corporate Contribution License Agreement.
+ ADF Faces was developed by five Oracle employees including Adam Winer (active member of the !JavaServer Faces expert group since day one) and John Fallows co-author of “Pro JSF and Ajax”. Developers have filed the Contribution License Agreement. Oracle has also filed the Corporate Contribution License Agreement.

- Three PMC members from the MyFaces project are currently planning to become active ADF Faces developers, others will hopefully follow:
+ Three PMC members from the !MyFaces project are currently planning to become active ADF Faces developers, others will hopefully follow:

   * Matthias Wessendorf
   * Martin Marinschek
@@ -37, +37 @@

  ''Alignment:''

- ADF Faces aligns perfectly with MyFaces and other ASF projects utilizing J2EE infrastructure such as Tomcat. Of particular relevance are projects such as Geronimo, Apache libraries like Jakarta Taglibs and Apache Maven.
+ ADF Faces aligns perfectly with !MyFaces and other ASF projects utilizing J2EE infrastructure such as Tomcat. Of particular relevance are projects such as Geronimo, Apache libraries like Jakarta Taglibs and Apache Maven.

  '''(0.2) warning signs'''

@@ -47, +47 @@

  ''Inexperience with open source:''

- Most ADF Faces developers have been consuming open source projects extensively and participating in open source mailing lists. In fact Adam Winer and John Fallows have been actively involved in the Apache MyFaces mailing list. Our mentors and the MyFaces team have great experience with open source development and ASF and already sharing with the ADF Faces team.
+ Most ADF Faces developers have been consuming open source projects extensively and participating in open source mailing lists. In fact Adam Winer and John Fallows have been actively involved in the Apache !MyFaces mailing list. Our mentors and the !MyFaces team have great experience with open source development and ASF and already sharing with the ADF Faces team.

  ''Homogenous developers:''

@@ -55, +55 @@

  ''Reliance on salaried developers:''

- Although ADF Faces was built by Oracle developers, initial interest from the MyFaces community seems strong. We anticipate several MyFaces community members to join the ADF Faces effort which will dilute this project’s reliance on Oracle developers overtime. Meanwhile, Oracle will continue to support the project by dedicating full time resources, to ensure a smooth transition into Apache.
+ Although ADF Faces was built by Oracle developers, initial interest from the !MyFaces community seems strong. We anticipate several !MyFaces community members to join the ADF Faces effort which will dilute this project’s reliance on Oracle developers overtime. Meanwhile, Oracle will continue to support the project by dedicating full time resources, to ensure a smooth transition into Apache.

  ''No ties to other Apache products:''

- ADF Faces runs on MyFaces.
+ ADF Faces runs on !MyFaces.

  ''A fascination with the Apache brand:''

@@ -68, +68 @@

  '''(1) scope of the subprojects'''

- Although ADF Faces could work well as a TLP, our preference would be to enter ASF as a MyFaces subproject, but we leave it to the Incubator PMC and ASF Board to make the final decision.
+ Although ADF Faces could work well as a TLP, our preference would be to enter ASF as a !MyFaces subproject, but we leave it to the Incubator PMC and ASF Board to make the final decision.

  '''(2) identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be populated'''

@@ -89, +89 @@

  '''(3.2) Subversion or CVS repositories'''

- We could either be allowed into the MyFaces sandbox area (with incubation disclaimers) or we could create CVS/Subversion repository with one module:
+ We could either be allowed into the !MyFaces sandbox area (with incubation disclaimers) or we could create CVS/Subversion repository with one module:

   * apache-adffaces

@@ -97, +97 @@

  ADF Faces would have its own release cycle and its own JIRA project.

-  * Project Name: MyFaces-ADFFaces
+  * Project Name: !MyFaces-ADFFaces
   * Project Key : ADFFACES

  '''(4) identify the initial set of committers '''
@@ -112, +112 @@

  '''(5) identify apache sponsoring individual '''

-  * Champion: Manfred Geiler (MyFaces PMC Chair, Officer)
+  * Champion: Manfred Geiler (!MyFaces PMC Chair, Officer)
-  * Sponsor: MyFaces PMC
+  * Sponsor: !MyFaces PMC
-  * Mentor: Craig McClanahan (ASF Member, Struts PMC, Jakarta PMC, Incubator PMC)
+  * Mentor: Craig !McClanahan (ASF Member, Struts PMC, Jakarta PMC, Incubator PMC)