Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Quenten Van Egeren <qv...@yahoo.com> on 2000/12/06 22:17:42 UTC

Is their a bug in Tomcat with the RequestDispatcher.forward(url) method?

I am using the following code snippet in one of my
servlets :

      RequestDispatcher dispatcher =
request.getRequestDispatcher(url);
      dispatcher.forward(request, response);

When I do this type of thing under Weblogic 5.1, the
url page is displayed and the url in the "Location"
box on the browser is changed to this url (this is
working correctly)

When I do this under Apache/Tomcat the url page
displays correctly, but the url in the Location box is
the url of the previous page...

Is there something special that I need to setup in one
of the Tomcat config files, or is this a bug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Quenten Van Egeren
(qvanegeren@yahoo.com)

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

RE: Is their a bug in Tomcat with the RequestDispatcher.forward(url) method?

Posted by David Rees <dr...@ebetinc.com>.
A forward is an internal redirect, the client never sees it (and therefore
never updates the URL in the status bar of the browser).

Tomcat is working properly, and it sounds like Weblogic is doing a redirect
and is broken.

-Dave

Posted by Shireesh Thanneru <th...@ece.villanova.edu>.
I used WebLogic 5.1 SP6 for my last project and never experienced such behavior.
Whenever I forwarded to a target url, the target url never appeared in the
browser location box, it was always the previous url that the browser shows,
because that was the url that the browser has actually requested, and it has
absolutely no knowledge of what you are doing on the server-side in this case,
do not confuse RequestDispatcher.forward() with response.sendRedirect().

Shireesh Thanneru