Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/21 10:58:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Using Git

Hi,

As mentioned, this is not a counter-proposal to a refined SVN structure.
Some parts, e.g. "data" may well use SVN if a sort of "workflow" could be
found, either with JIRA or a dedicated UA-contribution service or similar.

However, as expressed by some earlier, and Browsermap also shows, some of
the "clients" discussed or some we may get for other languages over time
could benefit from Git. Not just by using a Git workflow similar to that
used by DeltaSpike, Tamaya or other projects.

DeltaSpike (Apache doesn't seem to have such extensive documentation on a
top level yet) shows extremely well how Git should be used:
http://deltaspike.apache.org/documentation/source.html
and in more detail
https://deltaspike.apache.org/suggested-git-workflows.html

@Radu, if someone raised a Pull-request on
https://github.com/apache/devicemap-browsermap
could you merge that in GitHub and it'll automatically propagate back into
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/browsermap/ or is that a Read
Only mirror?

While there are no deltas between branches, a developer of what you can
call one of Day/Adobe's big Open Source competitors in the Java Enterprise
CMS market (http://dotcms.com/) just forked both OpenDDR Data and Java
Client on GitHub. I am not aware, the OpenDDR team would still merge
pull-requests if they created any. Nobody can prevent them from just
improving their fork, but since it's all Open Source any hypothetical fix,
patch or improvement this company or others make to OpenDDR device data can
in most cases be merged into the 1.x data stream, too if it doesn't exist
there already. Their website claims fitbit.com and other large Global 100
brands (http://dotcms.com/explore/customers/) use it. So if they don't just
"play around" with it, I'd say there's a reason they forked a W3C compliant
library and data, too;-)

Will ask the developer who forked it, what their intentions are. Unless
they prefer to work on their own fork (which I could of course observe and
legally "harvest" unlike commercial closed-source alterntives) maybe they
are also interested to collaborate at DeviceMap directly.

Regards,
Werner