Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2005/03/10 22:46:43 UTC

Building when RTL doesn't support wchar_t (was Re: INSTALL and web site update)

The code was designed to support logchar as being wchar_t or UTF-8
char's.  However, the support routines for UTF-8 chars was not coded
since at the time I didn't have apr-iconv integrated.

Right now, use of wchar_t is hardcoded by the

#define LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_WCHAR 1

in logstring.h

If you change this to:

#define LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_CHAR 1

log4cxx should compile but fail to link due to unsatisfied references.

Obviously this should be parameterized in the build.  I'll make a stab
at supplying the missing functions.

I thought it likely that this could affect cygwin and/or MinGW too.
Did you make any progess with hacking the build file?

Re: Building when RTL doesn't support wchar_t (was Re: INSTALL and web site update)

Posted by Jwahar Bammi <ba...@memento-inc.com>.
i hacked the build file and made some progress. I hacked the build file
a little more to help it recognize my use of -Dapr.dir=/usr/local/apr
(the naming conventions its using dont fit cygwin, so the conditional
apr-available etc were not getting set).

I ran into the same wstring issue on cygwin. Your hint helps, but as
soon as its gets to  log4cxx/helper/loglog.h and sees the wstring& (line
92), it fails. So, its the same as HPUX 11.

Doing solaris next, and then (shudder) aix.

cheers,
bammi@memento-inc.com

--
Jwahar Bammi