Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz> on 2009/10/03 13:01:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with cert of *443 VirtualHost

Hi all,

I would like to ask anyone if he ran in this issue before posting
configurations.
I configured default virtualhost with both 80 and ssl 443 listeners
(works). I configured two other vhosts with rewrites from 80 to 443
(webmail and other system) but only one is working as expected. Although
the webmail has a ssl access and works, I got certificate errors from
browser. I can live with not trusted CA, but I saw there

localhost
Apache HTTP Server
Test Certificate

which produces erros about hostname mismatch and expiry. I couldn't
google anything about this because localhost apache and ssl are very
common keywords for howtos.

Thanks for any ideas and I'm glad to join this list, regards,

--
Marek Šabo
Server Manager

Re: [users@httpd] Problem with cert of *443 VirtualHost

Posted by Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz>.
Serge Fonville wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     > yes every virtual host lists the sslengine on and etc routines and
>     > namevirtualhost on 443 is enabled in default config.
>     > My webmail config is nearly similar at least similar in ssl
>     configuration
>     > part and I don't understand from where it gets that apache test
>     cert.
>
>     You can't have namevirtualhost with SSL. (yet). This page explains
>     why:
>     http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2
>

> Used virtualdocumentroot to resolve this
> VirtualDocumentRoot C:/ProgramData/htdocs/%0
> Combined with subjectaltname in the certificate.
> This resolved it for me
> But you'll have to add the Root Certificate to all clients in their
> trusted store
> For an internetfacing webserver, probably too bad.
> Since I can't think of CA that allows this
>
> HTH
>
> Regards,
>
> Serge Fonville
>
> --
> http://www.sergefonville.nl
>
> Convince Google!!
> They need to support Adsense over SSL
> https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10528
> <https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10528>
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdSense/thread?tid=1884bc9310d9f923&hl=en
> <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdSense/thread?tid=1884bc9310d9f923&hl=en>
Hey,

thanks for suggestion, so you 've already set up multiple ssl vhosts on
one machine?
I need exactly that, my predecessor managed that on old apache sever but
with upgrade it fell down so I have to rewrite configs, e.g. have
webmail and webmin ssl-ed on one host. From what I can think of now, I
could do that with relative path at the end of URL and use mod_rewrite
to rewrite webmail.domain.cz to domain.cz/webmail with domain.cz ssl-ed
(same for webmin). If you have other workaround, could you please submit
sample config?

Thanks & regards

--
Marek Šabo
Chief Server Manager

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz>.
Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz> wrote:
>

>> yes every virtual host lists the sslengine on and etc routines and
>> namevirtualhost on 443 is enabled in default config.
>> My webmail config is nearly similar at least similar in ssl configuration
>> part and I don't understand from where it gets that apache test cert.
>>

> You can't have namevirtualhost with SSL. (yet). This page explains why:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2
>

> Krist

Thanks,

I've already ran into it and I understand the issue more properly so now
I'm trying to figure the best workaround for my setup.

Regards

--
Marek Šabo
Chief Server Manager

Fwd: [users@httpd] Problem with cert of *443 VirtualHost

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
link below needs SNI info!

> yes every virtual host lists the sslengine on and etc routines and
> namevirtualhost on 443 is enabled in default config.
> My webmail config is nearly similar at least similar in ssl configuration
> part and I don't understand from where it gets that apache test cert.

You can't have namevirtualhost with SSL. (yet). This page explains why:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Problem with cert of *443 VirtualHost

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz> wrote:

> yes every virtual host lists the sslengine on and etc routines and
> namevirtualhost on 443 is enabled in default config.
> My webmail config is nearly similar at least similar in ssl configuration
> part and I don't understand from where it gets that apache test cert.

You can't have namevirtualhost with SSL. (yet). This page explains why:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com