Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/02/05 11:14:43 UTC

restructure jakarta-avalon

I'll be restructuring jakart-avalon a bit, as discussed yesterday. It'll
be briefly messy. Will say when done.

cheers

- Leo

Re: restructure jakarta-avalon

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
done. Commits should be self-explanatory :D

source dist now 358k. Need to get new logkit releas up on maven repo and
reference that before building the final release.

cheers,

- Leo

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Status update:

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote, On 05/02/2003 12.20:

> Leo Simons wrote, On 05/02/2003 11.14:
>
>> I'll be restructuring jakart-avalon a bit, as discussed yesterday.
>> It'll be briefly messy. Will say when done.
>

> Leo, great thanks for the hard work and effort.
>
> I've a bit ill ATM, so although I'm replying to mails, I had a hard time
> doing anything else
>
> Here are fixes I'm going to do:
>
>  1 - make Forrest render from simplified docbook

Fixing validation errors in those files, and banging my head on xinclude
that is /orthogonal/ to validation 8-)

>  2 - make avalon-tigris render the same in Mozilla and IE

Done. Added a complete DTD spec output for HTML in Forrest CVS version..

>  3 - use the Avalon logo

Now it's using the SVG to generate it dynamically to PNG.
Coul ddo the same when we get a correct SVG version of the Avalon logo.

>  4 - use the javadocs created by Gump instead of the ones in CVS

After point 1.

>  5 - update the site CVS with the updated skin
>      http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/site/jakarta-avalon-site

After point 4.

Leo writes:

 > yeah, "Add the pages to filterlinks passed into the link view to avoid
 > generating pages in first place." (PD). Not really an idea what it
 > means. I think you do :D
 >
 > Basically the cocoon error pages are totally annoying when you know the
 > link is not actually broken (for example if apidocs are added in later
 > or if you link to '../index.html').

In these cases I'd prefer to do as Ant does, just put a page saying "the
docs were not generated".

 > Also, link checkers like Noel set up
 > will not be able to find the problem because they can't see that a link
 > is actually broken.

Aha! Yup, this *is* a good point. Will patch Cocoon.

 > So I want something simple, like
 >
 > forrest.properties
 > ------------------
 > # for generating of offline docs
 > link.index = http://avalon.apache.org/
 > link.api = api/
 >
 > forrest.no-error-pages=true
 >
 > forrest.properties.online
 > -------------------------
 > # for generating of online docs
 > link.index = ../index.html
 > link.api = http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadocs/somewhere
 >
 > forrest.no-error-pages=true
 >
 > book.xml
 > --------
 > <!-- ... -->
 > <menu-item href="forrest:link.api" name="Javadocs"/>
 > <!-- ... -->
 >
 > but I can't figure out how to do it.

You mean a link that changes if you are offline or online?
We ddefine links in site.xml now. So I guess you would need something
like a offline="" attribute... hmmm, gotta think about this.

I'll post something on this to Forrest-dev.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: restructure jakarta-avalon

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote, On 05/02/2003 11.14:
>
>> I'll be restructuring jakart-avalon a bit, as discussed yesterday.
>> It'll be briefly messy. Will say when done.
>
> Leo, great thanks for the hard work and effort.

:D

> I've a bit ill ATM, so although I'm replying to mails, I had a hard time
> doing anything else

get well soon!

> Here are fixes I'm going to do:
>
>  1 - make Forrest render from simplified docbook

cool.

>  2 - make avalon-tigris render the same in Mozilla and IE

cool.

>  3 - use the Avalon logo

? We use it all over the place, don't we?

>  4 - use the javadocs created by Gump instead of the ones in CVS

cool.

>  5 - update the site CVS with the updated skin
>      http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/site/jakarta-avalon-site

cool.

> Any other things to check for ATM?

yeah, "Add the pages to filterlinks passed into the link view to avoid
generating pages in first place." (PD). Not really an idea what it
means. I think you do :D

Basically the cocoon error pages are totally annoying when you know the
link is not actually broken (for example if apidocs are added in later
or if you link to '../index.html'). Also, link checkers like Noel set up

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.