Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/08/02 22:19:03 UTC

Re: subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c compile warning

Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
> Call me Mr. "might be used uninitialized".
>
> subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c: In function `do_item_commit':
> subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c:750: warning: `path' might be
> used uninitialized in this function

Thanks -- fixed in rev 2866.

/me wonders what is *up* with our compilers not catching this stuff.
    The last time that function was touched was in revision 2578, for
    crying out loud...

Re: subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c compile warning

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> /me wonders what is *up* with our compilers not catching this stuff.
>     The last time that function was touched was in revision 2578, for
>     crying out loud...

That was my fault, gcc doesn't do much (any?) uninitialized checking
if optimisation is off.  I had optimisation switched off and didn't
rebuild with it switched on.

--
Philip Martin

Re: subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c compile warning

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
> Could also be the volume of messages from running make and people not
> paying attention.

Well, I build from absolute clean several times a day, and use Emacs's
compilation mode to catch errors and warnings.  It must be the
compiler itself...

Re: subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c compile warning

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:36:44PM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Karl Fogel wrote:
> >
> > Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
> > > Call me Mr. "might be used uninitialized".
> > >
> > > subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c: In function `do_item_commit':
> > > subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c:750: warning: `path' might be
> > > used uninitialized in this function
> >
> > Thanks -- fixed in rev 2866.
> >
> > /me wonders what is *up* with our compilers not catching this stuff.
> >     The last time that function was touched was in revision 2578, for
> >     crying out loud...
>
> Maybe it's the compiler.  I'm using gcc 3.1.1.
>
> Could also be the volume of messages from running make and people not
> paying attention.

i think it's the compiler, cause the last time you caught this in my
change i went back and checked, and i didn't see any warning on my
FreeBSD box with gcc 2.95.4.  i guess gcc 3.1.1 just has better warnings.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c compile warning

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:

> Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
> > Call me Mr. "might be used uninitialized".
> >
> > subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c: In function `do_item_commit':
> > subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c:750: warning: `path' might be
> > used uninitialized in this function
>
> Thanks -- fixed in rev 2866.
>
> /me wonders what is *up* with our compilers not catching this stuff.
>     The last time that function was touched was in revision 2578, for
>     crying out loud...

Maybe it's the compiler.  I'm using gcc 3.1.1.

Could also be the volume of messages from running make and people not
paying attention.

Best,
Blair

--