Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James Levinson <jl...@ziprealty.com> on 2006/04/20 22:44:45 UTC

Linux Clients ?

I have my repository set up and serving from apache 2.2 on RHEL3 via
ssl/https...what or which is the simplest client to install to get svn
to run from my command line ?

It seems like overkill to have to install neon/apr/svn on servers where
I only need a client. And, it appears that I'd need to install SVN to
use RapidSVN, yes ?

Re: Linux Clients ?

Posted by Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de>.
On 20.04.06 15:44:45, James Levinson wrote:
> I have my repository set up and serving from apache 2.2 on RHEL3 via
> ssl/https...what or which is the simplest client to install to get svn
> to run from my command line ?

svn.

> It seems like overkill to have to install neon/apr/svn on servers where
> I only need a client.

Why do you need a client on the server?? And then: I wonder how you got
the svn-apache-module to work without neon and apr libraries, at least
here the apache module needs libsvn which in turn need libapr and
libneon.

> And, it appears that I'd need to install SVN to
> use RapidSVN, yes ?

Not sure what you mean with SVN here, but on my Debian box RapidSVN
depends only on libsvncpp (i.e. the C++ wrapper around libsvn) and
libsvn itself. And yes you do need at least the latter one to do
anything with a svn repository.

Andreas

--
Bank error in your favor.  Collect $200.

Re: Linux Clients ?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 21, 2006, at 00:44, James Levinson wrote:

> I have my repository set up and serving from apache 2.2 on RHEL3 via
> ssl/https...what or which is the simplest client to install to get svn
> to run from my command line ?
>
> It seems like overkill to have to install neon/apr/svn on servers
> where
> I only need a client. And, it appears that I'd need to install SVN to
> use RapidSVN, yes ?

I'm only aware of one Subversion command-line client, and it's the
one provided by the Subversion group, and it's called "svn" and it's
what you get when you download and compile and install the Subversion
source distribution. Subversion, both the client and the server,
require the Apache portable runtime, APR. (This has nothing to do
with the Apache web server; it's just a library which is provided by
the same Apache group which is useful in developing cross-platform
applications.) The Subversion client furthermore requires the Neon
library to communicate over HTTP, a feature you are likely to want in
a Subversion client.

I do not know RapidSVN specifically, but I would expect most
Subversion GUIs to require either the Subversion libraries or the
Subversion command-line client to be installed in order to function.
You'll have to try it out or ask the developers of those GUI tools.