Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Lucas Cotta <co...@pgt.mpt.gov.br> on 2006/06/29 18:06:59 UTC

spamassassin use CPU 100%

Hello All,

I don't know what happens, but the spamassassin took 100% of CPU and it
blocked all of the processes. Do you have some suggestion?

Thank you

Lucas Cotta
Boss of Engineering of Support of
Ministério Público do Trabalho

Re: spamassassin use CPU 100%

Posted by Philippe <sp...@mezimail.com>.
Hernan Gimenez a écrit :
> Disable any custom rules like SARE rules. Some of the rules cuases
> this simptoms.

Hi there,
According to my (small) experience with low memory mail servers, the
following
should be avoided :

- using blacklist.cf (from RulesDuJour, it can create spamd processes
taking more than 200MB of memory !)
- a lot of personal scores : define only those which are really usefull.
- put your own antispam rules in the local.cf file : put them in a
special other file (with .cf extension)

I also suggest you to check everyday the spamassassin --lint command.

Indeed if you use RulesDuJour to update your antipam rules files, there
may be an error during the update, which may cause the spamd process to
have an anormal behaviour (as it happened to me).
Furtermore, if the spamassassin --lint is really long (more than 10s),
it is possible that your SpamA config has got a problem, even if the
command line does not show up any error message.

A good indicator may be as well the average time scan.
Here is the command line I use to calculate it every day :
addition=0; j=0; for i in `zgrep scantime\= /var/log/mail.info | sed -e
's/^.*scantime\=\([0-9\.]*\),.*$/\1/'`; do addition=$addition+$i;
j=$j+1; done; echo \($addition\)/\($j\) | bc -l

Less than 6s is a good score I think.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--
Philippe Vialle

Re: spamassassin use CPU 100%

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
Then reinstall them one at a time to judge how effective they are.

There are two or three really large rule sets that should, indeed,
be avoided.

{^_^}

Lucas Cotta wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I don't know what happens, but the spamassassin took 100% of CPU and
> it blocked all of the processes. Do you have some suggestion?
>
> Thank you
>
> Lucas Cotta
> Boss of Engineering of Support of
> Ministério Público do Trabalho

We had similar problems on a machine running 1GB of RAM. Found there
were some custom rules and add-on rules causing problems. Disabled and
everything has been fine.

--
| Nick White              |

Re: spamassassin use CPU 100%