Posted to users@felix.apache.org by DEBROUX Lionel <Li...@atos.net> on 2011/10/19 09:42:52 UTC

RE : Scripting felix

Hello,

> I am currently writing a small shell script which is supposed to run
> felix, install the necessary bundles with gogo, then quit and package
> felix for deployment on our integration servers.
>
> [snip]
If you are using Maven, and your bundles are deployed in Maven
repositories (besides being deployed in OBR repositories), you can
add bundles to a Felix installation without running Felix.

The two following sample files add a File Install 3.1.10 bundle to a
Felix 4.0.1 framework, then re-package the result as a gzipped tarball:

pom.xml:
"
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <name>NAME</name>
  <description>DESCRIPTION</description>
  <groupId>GROUP</groupId>
  <artifactId>ARTIFACT</artifactId>
  <version>VERSION</version>

  <properties>
    <felix.version>4.0.1</felix.version>
    <felix.dir>${project.build.directory}/felix-framework-${felix.version}</felix.dir>
    <fileinstall.version>3.1.10</fileinstall.version>
  </properties>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.apache.felix.fileinstall</artifactId>
      <version>${fileinstall.version}</version>
    </dependency>

    <!-- Add more dependencies here if you want -->
  </dependencies>

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <!-- 1. Unpack Felix distribution to target/${felix.dir} and install dependencies in bundle -->
      <plugin>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>unpack-felix</id>
            <phase>generate-resources</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>unpack</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}</outputDirectory>
              <excludeTransitive>true</excludeTransitive>
              <overWrite>true</overWrite>
              <artifactItems>
                <artifactItem>
                  <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
                  <artifactId>org.apache.felix.main.distribution</artifactId>
                  <version>${felix.version}</version>
                  <type>tar.gz</type>
                </artifactItem>
              </artifactItems>
            </configuration>
          </execution>

          <execution>
            <id>fill-out-bundle</id>
            <phase>process-resources</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>copy-dependencies</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <outputDirectory>${felix.dir}/bundle</outputDirectory>
              <useRepositoryLayout>false</useRepositoryLayout>
              <excludeTransitive>true</excludeTransitive>
              <overWrite>true</overWrite>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

      <!-- 2. Create an assembly package of the modified Felix distribution -->
      <plugin>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>make-assembly</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>single</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <archiveBaseDirectory>${felix.dir}</archiveBaseDirectory>
              <tarLongFileMode>gnu</tarLongFileMode>
              <descriptors>
                <descriptor>assembly.xml</descriptor>
              </descriptors>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</project>
"

assembly.xml:
"
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<assembly xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.0"
          xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.0
                              http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.1.0.xsd">
  <formats>
    <format>tar.gz</format>
  </formats>
  <fileSets>
    <fileSet>
      <directory>.</directory>
    </fileSet>
  </fileSets>
</assembly>
"

Regards,
Lionel.
________________________________

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité du groupe Atos ne pourra être engagée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être engagée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavors to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

RE : RE : Scripting felix

Posted by DEBROUX Lionel <Li...@atos.net>.
Hi again,

> Thanks for the example given, you are right, we are using Maven. I am
> currently adding base depencies by using copy-dependencies as you
> describe. But I am not using some of the additional maven niceties
> you are demonstrating, so thanks for the pointers.
You're welcome.

> What I like about the gogo-deployment method is that dependency
> resolution for obr:deploy happens on the basis of manifest.mf, so
> for our project bundles I can test this functionality directly as part
> of the integration build.
OK.

> I realize I could deploy the felix output of the maven method during
> the build in order to test manifest issues, but I must admit I am a
> little worried about runtime dependency issues and/or adding too much
> to our felix build with maven as dependency resolver... I note you
> are setting excludeTransitive to true in copy-dependencies of the
> example below :)
I guess that having excludeTransitive to true, in the POM I extracted
and simplified for posting here, was just a way to force explicit
specification of dependencies in the POM, so that no new dependency
can slip in without anybody noticing.

> -> Is there no way to have gogo persist its deployments, as it does
> when I deploy bundles interactively?
>
> -> Would you advise against using this approach for other reasons?
I don't know, let's wait for answers from other persons :)

Regards,
Lionel.

Re: RE : Scripting felix

Posted by Sam Spycher <sa...@spycher.info>.

[...]