Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Manoj Singh <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/30 17:59:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Server document root change

Hi All,

My production server has facing disk full problem. Actually my server has
the following drives mounted:
/var - 10 GB
/home - 200 GB
etc...

Now i want to change the document root of apache server from /var to /home.

Is there any problem if i change this?

Please suggest.

Regards,
Manoj

Re: [users@httpd] Server document root change

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Manoj Singh <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My production server has facing disk full problem. Actually my server has
> the following drives mounted:
> /var - 10 GB
> /home - 200 GB
> etc...
>
> Now i want to change the document root of apache server from /var to /home.
>
> Is there any problem if i change this?
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Regards,
> Manoj

Undoubtedly, but not because of Apache. the only issues you should run
in to are any server-side scripts that use absolute paths, which
(unless you've got really good and meticulous programmers) there's
probably a few of hanging around.

I'd say your best bet if you want to change the document root is to
copy all your content to where you want it, set up a test Apache
server and have it listen on a different port, and change your
document root there first. That will give you a chance to check
everything out before committing the changes to the public.

Of course, since you're using a POSIX system, you could always mount a
new HD where ever your DocumentRoot currently points to.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/

Re: [users@httpd] Server document root change

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Manoj Singh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My production server has facing disk full problem. Actually my server has
> the following drives mounted:
> /var - 10 GB
> /home - 200 GB
> etc...
>
> Now i want to change the document root of apache server from /var to /home.
>
> Is there any problem if i change this?

No.  But you must of course change all the paths (in your httpd *.conf
files) that point to /var/??? to /home/???, and make sure you duplicate
all the ownership/permissions correctly.