Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by "Headdon, Jimmy" <ji...@mclaren.com> on 2016/11/03 11:18:42 UTC

.NET Platform Contributions

Hello,

This may be better suited to Gitter, or covered elsewhere (I've search around, so apologies if this is a duplication)!

I've been evaluating Apache Ignite and I'm pretty excited about what it can do.  We're predominantly a .NET stack, so I've cloned the repo and have been browsing the .NET platform code, to which I have a couple of questions regarding contributions that I'd appreciate some feedback on:

*         Do you accept open contributions, or do I have to be an active member in the community for a certain period to achieve contributor (not committer) status?

*         Do you have well defined contribution guidelines, for example - https://github.com/FakeItEasy/FakeItEasy/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

*         Do you have any plans to migrate the solution to Visual Studio 2015 (or VS15 when it's out of Preview)?  The is a note about upgrading the C++ libraries when using recent VS versions, but are there plans for an official move given that VS2010 isn't supported anymore?

*         Do you have plans to update the target framework from .NET 4.0 to .NET 4.5.* or 4.6.*?  I've found improvement suggestions for .NET Core and Standard in JIRA, but .NET 4.5 itself is over 4 years old now, and 4.6 is nearly 2 years old

*         Do you accept pull requests for work items not currently labelled against a release in JIRA?  For example:

o   Fixing project build order dependencies (.Core doesn't build before .Examples reliably)

o   Standardising async/await methods (naming, for example)

o   Standardising IDisposable implementation

o   Performance regression tests (I can see a drive on regression test coverage, are performance tests like NBench<https://github.com/petabridge/NBench> of interest?)

o   Inconsistent code formatting (naming, object types, etc.)

o   Migrating FxCop to Code Analysis (FxCop inspects IL instead of performing source tree analysis, and is no longer supported)

Great project, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jimmy

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient you should not read, copy, retransmit or disclose its contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system immediately and notify us either by email or telephone. The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily be the views held by McLaren Racing Limited.
 McLaren Racing Limited | McLaren Technology Centre | Chertsey Road | Woking | Surrey | GU21 4YH | UK | Company Number: 01517478

Re: .NET Platform Contributions

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Jimmy,

This is great to see endeavor from your side to make Ignite.NET <http://ignite.net/> better! Sure, as Pavel stated we are happy to accept the contributions.