Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org> on 2020/04/28 07:10:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] AS3 anyone?

Hi all,

we had have long time no commits or contributions for the AS3 support in Thrift.

Therefore, I’d like to ask the question what the community thinks about this particular piece of the code base.

a) Is anyone out there who is still using Action Script?
b) What would be the consensus if I propose to drop AS3 support entirely?

Before we have a formal vote I’d like to get some free feedback, so please feel free to comment in any form you wish.

Have fun,
JensG

Re: [DISCUSS] AS3 anyone?

Posted by Zac Harvey <zh...@pobox.com>.
I would propose voting to set an End of Life (EOL) date at some point over the next 8 - 16 months (those numbers are arbitrary, but the point would be to give anyone with AS3 dependencies ample time to migrate). Once the EOL is reached there could be a grace period for yet some other short length of time (less than 6 months). Announcements of the EOL and grace period could be communicated to the community, and then finally, after the grace period, support is fully dropped.

Just my 2 cents

Re: [DISCUSS] AS3 anyone?

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
I would +1 retiring it. Perhaps deprecate it in the next release and then
remove in the one after that.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:10 AM Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we had have long time no commits or contributions for the AS3 support in
> Thrift.
>
> Therefore, I’d like to ask the question what the community thinks about
> this particular piece of the code base.
>
> a) Is anyone out there who is still using Action Script?
> b) What would be the consensus if I propose to drop AS3 support entirely?
>
> Before we have a formal vote I’d like to get some free feedback, so please
> feel free to comment in any form you wish.
>
> Have fun,
> JensG

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner