Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "sa-user@onlinecol.com" <sa...@onlinecol.com> on 2006/03/14 21:43:13 UTC

Any windows users try the new Active Perl with SA?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone running Windows and SA has tried the new
ActivePerl with 3.1.1?

RE: Any windows users try the new Active Perl with SA?

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> I tried this as a sink on an exchange box and it doesn't
> fork.  It processes one emai at a time.  It can take from
> 15-30 seconds per email depending on the size and speed of
> your system.  So, it didn't take vary long before the
> incoming queue was getting backed up.  I ended up disabling
> the sing and flushing the queue 2-3 times a day.  Better to
> run it on a linux or bsd gateway box infront of your windows
> based email server.

That's the Exchange Sink's fault, not SA's. I use SA with CGPSA on
CommuniGate Pro and it forks just fine on Windows. Convincing the Sink
author to not single-thread the requests might be the hardest part...
It's not very efficient to fork on Windows, but it's better than
single-threading the requests if you've got the hardware to handle
multiple SA processes.

Bret

Posted by es...@ihms.net.
I tried this as a sink on an exchange box and it doesn't fork.  It
processes one emai at a time.  It can take from 15-30 seconds per email
depending on the size and speed of your system.  So, it didn't take vary
long before the incoming queue was getting backed up.  I ended up
disabling the sing and flushing the queue 2-3 times a day.  Better to run
it on a linux or bsd gateway box infront of your windows based email
server.

Eric

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Tuesday, March 14, 2006 at 8:43:13 PM, sa-user@onlinecol.com confabulated:

> Hi,

> I am wondering if anyone running Windows and SA has tried the new
> ActivePerl with 3.1.1?

Been  using  5.8.7.815  with 3.1 since 815 first came out. Haven't had
any  issues thus far. I'm probably going to upgrade to 3.1.1 over this
coming weekend.

--
"This message is made of 100% recycled electrons."

RE: Any windows users try the new Active Perl with SA?

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> I am wondering if anyone running Windows and SA has tried the new
> ActivePerl with 3.1.1?

SA 3.11 lints fine on Windows XP with ActivePerl 5.8.8.816. The only
thing that concerns me about this build is how the CGPSA integration
tool will handle the change in line endings, \r\n now on Windows instead
of just \n.

Bret

RE: Any windows users try the new Active Perl with SA?

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> > I am wondering if anyone running Windows and SA has tried the new
> > ActivePerl with 3.1.1?
>
> Now running ActivePerl 5.8.8.816 with SA 3.1.1 on Windows
> Server 2003. My SpamAssassin won't lint... Ugh.
>
> "EADDRINUSE" is not exported by the Errno module
> Can't continue after import errors at
> C:\Perl\site\lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 45
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> C:\Perl\site\lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 45.
> Compilation failed in require at C:\Perl\site\lib/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm
> line 75.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> C:\Perl\site\lib/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 75. Compilation
> failed in require at spamassassin line 78. BEGIN
> failed--compilation aborted at spamassassin line 78.
>

> It doesn't have the same problem on Windows XP... Wonder what
> the difference is? I used the same install procedure on both.
> The funny part is that the module interface still works fine
> and it's running correctly under CGPSA, so it works, but
> doesn't --lint. Go figure. I'll do some more digging. Anyone
> else have an idea where to look?

OK... I found it. ActivePerl's nice PPM install utility found ERRNO as a
dependency to Mail-IMAPClient, which I use for bayes learning. I removed
Mail-IMAPClient and ERRNO and SpamAssassin would then --lint correctly.
Then I manually downloaded and installed Mail-IMAPClient, which then
found the built-in ERRNO function and everything is happy. :)

So, if you're using ActivePerl 5.8.8.816, then don't ppm install
Mail-IMAPClient or it will break SA. Time to update the wiki...

Bret

RE: Any windows users try the new Active Perl with SA?

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> I am wondering if anyone running Windows and SA has tried the new
> ActivePerl with 3.1.1?

Figures... I just checked the version the other day and (finally)
upgraded to the 815 version. Guess I'll re-do it today and try the next
one.

Bret