Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/11 10:34:01 UTC

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for January 2010 ("UIMA Developers" )

Hi guys,
we have to report by Wednesday, I can take care of it.
We can share in this thread all the stuff we want to report.

Cheers.
Tommaso

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks, Tommaso.

Other item to add:
  New committer voted in (Bhavani Iyer).

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Would it be appropriate to say something like
>> "getting ready for a graduation vote very soon"
>> so the Board knows we're getting there and doesn't
>> worry about us too much?
>>

> Repeating from the October report: "UIMA is ready to graduate, and
> plans to start the graduation process after the current release
> activity is finished." :-)
>
> As far as I'm concerned (with my mentor hat on) there's no need to
> wait for the release before graduating, and graduating now would also
> make the release process easier.

If we vote to graduate, and then want to do a release, I think there's a
lot of work to accomplish before the release such as:
a) moving the project out of the incubator - including changing the svn,
mailing lists, and our web-site
b) changing our build process to remove the incubating disclaimer

Is this correct?  If so, I think it would delay our release, probably.
So unless we could release just as we are now, (I'm about to call for
the release vote for RC 9) I would favor releasing first, and then
trying to graduate.

Also, graduation is not a for-sure thing - there might be an extended
discussion regarding whether or not we have enough diversity.  But I am
glad that one of our mentors thinks it's likely to go through, easily !

-Marshall

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2010/1/11 Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>

> Would it be appropriate to say something like
> "getting ready for a graduation vote very soon"
> so the Board knows we're getting there and doesn't
> worry about us too much?

+1
Tommaso

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for January 2010 ("UIMA Developers" )

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Would it be appropriate to say something like
"getting ready for a graduation vote very soon"
so the Board knows we're getting there and doesn't
worry about us too much?

--Thilo

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,