Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by charlie arehart <ch...@carehart.org> on 2018/03/27 22:05:07 UTC

How to offer a link correction for the Tomcat docs?

Greetings. I’m a new list member, though a fairly long-time Tomcat user.

I found a broken link in the Tomcat User Guide (8 and 7), on its left nav bar.  How would I best go about reporting such a broken link in the Tomcat docs?

To be clear, while there is a comments section at the bottom of the doc pages, that points folks to https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/comments.html to learn more, which in turn points to https://comments.apache.org/help.html. But that gets a 503 service unavailable error. I find a jira discussion indicating this is a long-standing issue, which was hoped to be solved by now: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15947.

Until that’s resolved, is this or another TC list a good place to report such a broken link, or other doc suggestion? Thanks.

/charlie

Re: How to offer a link correction for the Tomcat docs?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Charlie,

On 3/29/18 4:38 PM, charlie arehart wrote:
> Thanks. I'm guessing someone fixed it before you looked, as I see
> now that it is fixed as well. (And same for the 7 doc.)

It's possible there was a problem with a specific page, though I think
the build-process puts the same left-panel on every page. *shrug*

> Now, if you may be tempted to say that you don’t think anyone had
> changed it recently, I would just offer here a screenshot of the 8
> doc page, from the browser where I tripped over the problem (and
> which I had not reloaded since seeing your answer here). It clearly
> shows that it WAS wrong at some point. :-)
>
> cid:image003.jpg@01D3C773.EB0A17B0

Screenshots are stripped from the list. The conspiracy continues!

> And in case the image doesn’t make it through, here’s a dropbox
> link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9wivla0vwu91a1/

Looks photoshopped. :D

> I can’t imagine any way I’d see that in my browser other than if
> the link was indeed wrong in the HTML. In fact, I was able to do a
>
> <li><a href="_means_-descriptors-howto.html">17) MBeans
> Descriptors</a></li>
>
> (But I realize that for some users it’s possible that the HTML I
> just pasted won’t show up.)
>
> As always, just trying to help.

Definitely thank you for bringing it to our attention, even if it was
already fixed or whatever. If you hadn't said something, maybe nobody
else would have.

I can't see any recent changes to the svn repo for those pages... I'm
not sure what the problem could have been.

- -chris

RE: How to offer a link correction for the Tomcat docs?

Posted by charlie arehart <ch...@carehart.org>.
Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Posted by charlie arehart <ch...@carehart.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How to offer a link correction for the Tomcat docs?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 29/03/18 21:38, charlie arehart wrote:
> Thanks. I'm guessing someone fixed it before you looked, as I see now
> that it is fixed as well. (And same for the 7 doc.)
>
> Now, if you may be tempted to say that you don’t think anyone had
> changed it recently,

That is what version control is for:

Felix made a bunch of changes to fix this of which the above change is
just the first.

Mark

RE: How to offer a link correction for the Tomcat docs?

Posted by charlie arehart <ch...@carehart.org>.
Thanks. I'm guessing someone fixed it before you looked, as I see now that it is fixed as well. (And same for the 7 doc.)

Now, if you may be tempted to say that you don’t think anyone had changed it recently, I would just offer here a screenshot of the 8 doc page, from the browser where I tripped over the problem (and which I had not reloaded since seeing your answer here). It clearly shows that it WAS wrong at some point. :-)

And in case the image doesn’t make it through, here’s a dropbox link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9wivla0vwu91a1/

I can’t imagine any way I’d see that in my browser other than if the link was indeed wrong in the HTML. In fact, I was able to do a view source and there is was:

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Charlie,

On 3/29/18 12:41 PM, charlie arehart wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> Sent:
>> Thursday, March 29, 2018 10:59 AM
>>
> <snip>
>>
>>> Until that’s resolved, is this or another TC list a good place
>>> to report such a broken link, or other doc suggestion? Thanks.
>>
>> Here is perfect.
>>
>> Which link is broken?
>>
>> - -chris
>
> Thanks, and yep, I would indeed have preferred to add the
> observation as a comment there if I could have.  I hope someday
> that system is working again.
>
> So the broken link is the one on the left nav there for "mbeans
> descriptor". While it should go to:
>
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/mbeans-descriptors-howto.html
>
>  It mistakenly tries to go to the following (missing the b in
> mbeans):
>
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/means-descriptors-howto.html

Can

you give me a page reference? When looking at:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/index.html

The link has the proper URL.

> FWIW, I have checked the other links on the left of that TC 8 User
> Guide, and they otherwise do all work as expected.
>
> Finally, the same error above was in the TC7 docs, if you have
> ability to change those. Again, thanks for stepping in.

Specific page? http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html
looks okay to me.

- -chris

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: How to offer a link correction for the Tomcat docs?

Posted by charlie arehart <ch...@carehart.org>.
>From: André Warnier (tomcat) <aw...@ice-sa.com>
>
>Hi.
>I think that you are right, there is something not quite right, right now, with the comment section (apparently on all pages).
>As I recall, it used to be that there was an editable section at the bottom of each page, where one could actually write a comment related to the documentation page in question.
>(And that would probably have been the right place to mention the problem).
>
>Now this seems to be replaced everywhere by a fixed message, with links, which don't seem to lead to anywhere one could actually place a comment.
>
>I have no idea if this is intended, but it seems a bit kafka-esque.
>
>Also the top link of the left-hand menu (Docs Home), could be expected to lead to a page covering the docs of all the versions. But instead of that, it seems to loop to the same version on which one already is.

Yep, thanks for the commiseration, André. :-) Hope that comments section will someday be working again. There are actually other "opportunities for improvement" that I have seen and wanted to suggest, and now it's no wonder that such may exist, given the challenge proposing changes (and even with the "comment" mechanism it's not clear if anyone took ownership to make changes).

If there's a way to go about getting permission to actually make actual doc changes and push them for approval by the doc owner, I'd welcome the opp to through that process, to help out.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by charlie arehart <ch...@carehart.org>.