Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rich Joslin <ma...@opusnet.com> on 2002/06/28 19:20:06 UTC

Tomcat Manager App

Has anyone built a GUI for the Tomcat manager app?  Not that I want to
get all Macromessya on it or anything, but it would be cool to have all
those commands on one screen I think.

Opinions?

- Rich

RE: Tomcat Manager App

Posted by Rich Joslin <ma...@opusnet.com>.
Thanks.  :-)

I also was informed that there are details on how to download a visual
app right in the config files!  I guess I should read more. Hehe

Thanks, all.

- Rich

>Has anyone built a GUI for the Tomcat manager app?  Not that I want to
>get all Macromessya on it or anything, but it would be cool to have all

>those commands on one screen I think.
>
>Opinions?
>
>- Rich

Hi.

See:  http://www.linuxservermanager.com, where GUI-APP will soon be
available.

Best regards,

Lars Nielsen Lind

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Tomcat Manager App

Posted by Lars Nielsen Lind <mo...@worldonline.dk>.

RE: Security Realm Limitations (More on protecting PDF documents.)

Posted by Brad Rhoads <br...@zethcon.com>.
Is there an API that so I can update the web.xml programaticly?

Other options that wouldn't require restarting Tomcat? While the # of PDFs
will not change often, access will. I assume I'd also have to restart Tomcat
to change <auth-contraint>s; It looks like I'll have to create a role for
each user.

Along the same lines, it looks like the JDBC Realm let's you specify a DB
table for users, but for resources and their roles???

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Tomcat Manager App

Posted by Rich Joslin <ma...@opusnet.com>.
More great information from the man himself.
I'm really starting to like this list.

Thanks again!
=]

- Rich

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Rich Joslin wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:20:06 -0700
> From: Rich Joslin <ma...@opusnet.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat Manager App
>
> Has anyone built a GUI for the Tomcat manager app?  Not that I want to
> get all Macromessya on it or anything, but it would be cool to have all
> those commands on one screen I think.

There is an HTML-ized version of the manager servlet that you can
configure instead in the web.xml of the manager webapp (see that web.xml
file for details).  But that's not really the right approach, IMHO.

> Opinions?

The primary reason that I made the manager webapp in the first place was
to make it easy to integrate into development tools that wanted to wupport
dynamic deployment of applications, rather than for direct use from a
browser.  Two existing examples are quite interesting:

* In the Java Web Services Developer Pack (JWSDP), you will find a
  modified version of "deploytool" from the J2EE reference implementation
  that is a Swing-based GUI for building and deploying webapps.  It uses
  the Manager webapp facilities behind the scenes.

    http://java.sun.com/webservices/

* Tomcat 4.1.x (and the JWSDP) includes a library of custom Ant tasks
  so that you can build application deployment and undeployment directly
  into your build scripts.  Again, they just talk to the Manager webapp's
  commands in the background.

Using a user-friendly HTML interface would make it much more difficult to
integrate client applications, which is why it's there at all.

(The admin webapp in Tomcat 4.1.x and JWSDP also lets you tweak
configuration parameters on running webapps, but it's not the easiest way
to deploy new ones).

> - Rich

Craig