Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Lavers <ti...@grandtestauto.org> on 2008/04/14 23:46:23 UTC

Delay between TCP handshake and POST (complete)

Am running a Tomcat 6.0 server that is distributing a client program using
Java WebStart. The client program communicates to the server using
an RMI HTTP tunnelling servlet which is running inside the same Tomcat
instance. I've had this setup running on three different computers.
On two of them, the performance is pretty good. On our production
system, however, the performance is terrible.

The download of the application is ok, what is bad is a strange pause
in the tunnelling. Using wireshark, I can see that after the WebStart
system has downloaded all of the software, the tunnelling operation
initiates a TCP connection with the three-way handshake but then there
is a 4.5 second delay before the expected POST operation.

The differences between the slow system and the two fast systems are:
1. The slow one has two network cards
2. The slow one is not a Domain Controller, its domain controller
is a Thinpoint Linux machine.

The delay is always very close to 4.5 seconds, so perhaps it is a timeout.
Anyhow, any advice on how to further diagnose the problem would be
much appreciated.

Re: Delay between TCP handshake and POST (complete)

Posted by Tim Lavers <ti...@grandtestauto.org>.
Dear all,

Am still having this problem, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me
know.

Here is some more information.....

The client and Tomcat JVM complete the handshake. Then there are three
netbios or nbstat lookups, each of which seems to time out after 1.5
seconds.
This accounts for the 4.5 seconds between the handshake and the
POST data being sent.

What is strange is that several other sockets to Tomcat, which are
performing GETs, work very well, with no delays.
So is it possible that with the POST, Tomcat is causing Windows to
do a NBSTAT or NETBIOS lookup?

Any ideas on what the problem is or how to further diagnose it?

Thanks,
Tim

Posted by Tim Lavers <ti...@grandtestauto.org>.

Posted by Tim Lavers <ti...@grandtestauto.org>.
Hi Ronald,

I think we do have such a firewall. I will find out
the exact configuration and get back to you.

Tim

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.

Posted by Tim Lavers <ti...@grandtestauto.org>.
Thanks Ronald,