Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mat Brown <ma...@patch.com> on 2009/07/10 17:24:00 UTC

Index-time boost propagated to copyField?

Hi all,

If I have two fields that are copied into a copyField, and I index
data in these fields using different index-time boosts, are those
boosts propagated into the copyField?

Thanks!
Mat

Re: Index-time boost propagated to copyField?

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
Mat Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I have two fields that are copied into a copyField, and I index
> data in these fields using different index-time boosts, are those
> boosts propagated into the copyField?
>
> Thanks!
> Mat

No, but the norms of source fields of copyField are "propagated"
into the destination as follows:

The destination field of the copyField has its own fieldNorm.
fieldNorm is calculated from lengthNorm and boost. I don't
think we can set boost of destination field, therefore, lengthNorm
will be used as fieldNorm of the destination as long as you don't set
doc boost.
lengthNorm is calculated from number of therms - that is to say,
total number of terms of source fields will be used to calculate
the norm of the destination field.

Koji