Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/25 09:35:13 UTC

Wiki cleanup : was : Website / Wiki was:Tuscany Logo..

Hi,

Since we now export the wiki content for our website, we need to follow some
guidelines from now on when adding content to the wiki.

1) First we need to steam line our menus to follow some scheme.  for example
have one top level menu set that has General, Tuscany SCA , SDO and DAS (as
we have it now).  So all pages that are general will have these options in
the navigation bar on the left.  Once into SCA or SDO or DAS we could have
another set of menu options for each with probably the General always
tagging on so that the user can get back to Home or other generic things.
All pages falling under SCA (say) should have the same set of options unless
we have a sub-item with SCA that gets to have lots of options and hence must
have its own menu - for example Java SCA.  When zeroing on the menu options
we have to make sure we only have general things there.  For example
architecture docs, programming guides, release process docs could all go
under 'Documentation' and the documentation page can provide a link to all
the documents as its first page instead of each of the docs featuring as a
menu item.

2) I have created a separate hierarchy of pages for Menus.  We must not
hardcode or embed menus inside pages.  Its good to create separate Menu
Pages and then include them the various content pages.  And then when
creating a Menu Page ensure it goes into the Menus hierarchy and does not
get mixed with content pages

3) Once having created a Menu Page it would be good to go over and create a
template page using that menu.  For this you need to go to the 'Template'
tab in the 'Browse Space' page and add a template.  In the template can
typically contain the section, column and the include macro for the Menu.
Once a template is created new pages can be created from this template and
these pages will readily have the menus embeded in them with just the page
content to be filled out. This will help in avoind cut/pase of menus in each
page.

4) When composing content from now on we have to use 'Heading Styles' to
demarcate various portions of the content.  We could use h1, h2... h5 to
create a hierarchy in the content.  Other than heading styles we must avoid
other ways of creating sections in the content to show some sort of
hierarchy.  Having the content done this way could lead to a cleaner export
to the website using stylesheets.

5) I have moved a whole bunch of pages to a separate hierarchy called 'To Be
Deleted'.  It would good if people can take a look at them as see if its
fine.  Also if you find anything else that must be deleted simply make the
parent of that page as 'To Be Deleted'.  We will delete all of these pages
in a few weeks.

6) The banner portion looks empty but for the logo in the left end.  It
would be good to have that space filled with something ;-)

So thats as much I can recollect on things that I wanted to share.  If
anybody has more to add to this you are welcome.

Thanks

- Venkat

Re: Wiki cleanup : was : Website / Wiki was:Tuscany Logo..

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Re. the point about how to link extension descriptions into the site. We
have a page called "Extension Guide" (distinct from the Extension Developers
Guide) that is on the left hand menu and lists all the extensions and should
be linked into the description pages like the one Ant has just made. I've
just gone and upgraded this page to include the left hand menu and link to
Ant's new page.

As an aside it would be a good idea to continue naming pages "SCA Java ..."
to distinguish thos pages that belong to SCA Java.

Simon

Re: Wiki cleanup : was : Website / Wiki was:Tuscany Logo..

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
The link got munged together with the next word, its just:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/templates/listpagetemplates.action?key=TUSCANY<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/templates/listpagetemplates.action?key=TUSCANYnamed>

   ...ant

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
HI Haleh,

There isn't a 'Documentation' menu item.   Thats what I am talking about
getting our menus organized.  Now there is a 'Guides' menu set where I think
all the docs are being linked.

- Venkat

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
this is a glitch in the autoexport plugin. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing the changes after you updated the css.
if I upload a file with the exact name as the one already attached (simple file overwrite) the autoexport plugin won't pick the update. That is there is one version on http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/autoexport-plugin-template.html and another in http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Autoexport+plugin+template.

Any chance you could update the css again, this time get it directly from here

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=55047

the file to use is *default_2007-05-25.zip* and should contain a single file names *default.css*.

I'm attaching a sample screenshot.jpg from my machine just in case so you see the changes. I would recommend you folks use h1..h5 (when starting a page with a title use h1.) in order to help organize the content, with this new css the spaces between titles and text is a lot smaller and I think looks better.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
snip

> User guide  is for users developing SCA applications. Why would a user
> care
> about module names that are in the link mentioned below? They'd need to
> know
> if the feature/functionality is available and that is listed on the java
> page.

I'm proposing two ways to the same information, a reference and a guide. So
maybe my example page wasn't great but I am suggesting that we have a
reference where you can look up what the SCDL element binding.rmi or
binding.script means and what the options are. Maybe this looks a little
lame at the moment but when we have a lot more extensions then I think this
will be useful.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

User guide  is for users developing SCA applications. Why would a user care
about module names that are in the link mentioned below? They'd need to know
if the feature/functionality is available and that is listed on the java
page.

>> User Reference:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+User+Reference

The following page seems to be useful for the developer guide. Can you
please provide a link to this page from developer guide?
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+User+Reference>>>
Developer Reference:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Developer+Reference<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Developer+Reference>

Thanks,
Haleh

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
btw, did you have the chance to update the css. it is still not picking up the changes to spacing and padding.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Done!

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hernan,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/27/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/27/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Venkat
> >
> > Some more comments
> >
> > snip
> >
> > > Haleh, the news is something that is very volatile and if we decide to
> > > place
> > > things in the chronological order the Release info will at some point
> > get
> > > pushed down.  Also there is just about a couple of lines that this
> > News
> > > can
> > > mention about a release which is not what I am proposing.  I am
> > proposing
> > > neat summary of the Release itself on what it offers and on what
> > platforms
> > > and so on and also what the changes over the prev. release
> > are.  Infact I
> > > really wish to make this 'Release' section visibile right at the top
> > of
> > > the
> > > second half of the page and to help in this I'd even see if we can
> > reduce
> > > the info about the project by a couple of lines or so.
> >

> > I support this approach, what people really want to know before they
> > download a specific release is what is in it. This information needs to
> > be
> > readily available to them. The information is technology specific so
> > should
> > be associated with the particualar technology/download to which it
> > refers.
> > So when you said "home page" before did you mean the front page of the
> > site
> > or the front page of each subproject? Maybe you could create a first
> > pass of
> > the page/section and put it where you think it belongs and we can
> > comment on
> > it?
>

> Apache Tapestry does this well with a latest releases download box on the
> top right of the home page: http://tapestry.apache.org/. And Spring with
> the announcement and changelog for the release next to the download link.
>
> Some of our download pages seem cluttered and it can be hard to find the
> link you need even when you know what you're looking for -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/sca-downloads.html. Hopefully this will
> improve if we move to having just bin and src distributions.
>
> Could we do something like change this page
> http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/tuscany-downloads.html to be similar to
> Spring and have download links for only the latest release and the CHANGES
> and RELEASE_NOTES for SCA, SDO and DAS,  and link off to some other page for
> the older downloads?

I made an attempt at this on a test page to see what it looked like, still
doesn't seem very perfect though so if others have better ideas...
http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/tuscany-downloads2.html

   ...ant

Re: Wiki cleanup : was : Website / Wiki was:Tuscany Logo..

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Venkat

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

First I wish we just had just about a couple of documents instead of many.
At the present moment I can just think of a 'Architecture and Programming
Model' document.  The first part of the document talks about the
architecture which will also include the various modules and what each ones
role is.  The second part of this document talks about the Programming Model
which would include a Server Side model and a Client Side model.  The Server
side model could deal with the 'hows' of writing implementation or service
binding or databinding extensions or artifact processors and so on.  The
client side programming model can deal with the various Tuscany extensions
and how each one is to be used in applications.  I'd imagine the
impl.scriptthing to go in here.  I'd imagine that this organization
has a flow in the
documentation.  Right now to me it gets to be a bit confusing with several
guides.

Haleh, the news is something that is very volatile and if we decide to place
things in the chronological order the Release info will at some point get
pushed down.  Also there is just about a couple of lines that this News can
mention about a release which is not what I am proposing.  I am proposing a

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
I don't think there is a right answer here as it mainly comes down to
personal preference. How we each like to see information presented.  If I
were travelling in my car I'd prefer to read a line on a map, many people I
know would much prefer to read a list of written instructions (turn right
here, turn left  there etc.) and forgo the map. Same information, different
presentation. I guess we just need to try and cover the most bases without
making too much work for ourselves.

I made a couple of examples of the Reference type information I would like
to see. This is just intended to provide an index into exisiting information
in the site.

User Reference:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+User+Reference
Developer Reference:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Developer+Reference

I'm not convinced everything here is either in the right category or is well
described but you get the idea.  Many projects at Apache provide a reference
approach to accessing information as well as providing a guide/tutorial
approach, for example, HTTPD, ActiveMQ, Ant, Maven etc.

Simon

Re: Wiki cleanup : was : Website / Wiki was:Tuscany Logo..

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Starting to look a lot better.

Venkat +1 for info in release right on the front page. Instead of, or as
well as, the  Release Notes can you include the information from the Changes
doc which tells people what is in the release?

Also I note that the link to the Extension Guide has gone missing. There
were two sets of information on this page

1/ Links to references to all the user configurable elements of the Tuscany
Runtime as provided by extensions. How about we reinstate this information
as User Reference. As distinct from the User Guide which is a more chatty
document

2/ Links to short desctiptions of the intention of each of the other system
modules that make up the Tuscany runtime which gives the budding developer a

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Haleh, thanks for all the work.

I also propose that on the home page we have information on 'Releases'.
Infact, after a brief summary of Tuscany I'd prefer the first heading to be
'Releases' wherein we should be mentioning about the most recent release
with a link to pages related to the prev. releases.  This could be followed
by the 'News'.  If people are ok with this then for the 0.90 release I can
do this and simple embed contents of the Releaset Notes under this section.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,
just a minor comment as you folks are transitioning to this new confluence web site schema.
You are now using a template to "beautify" the wiki content. The result is an automatically generated HTML page. An additional benefit is that HTML renders faster and can be (and actually is) served from a different server.

I would suggest when you folks are referencing the content to point to the HTML version directly

just an example, use

http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/sca-java-extension-guide.html

instead of

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Extension+Guide

doing this will also take a lot of load away from the confluence server.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venkat,
I must be looking at the wrong place. I don't see documentation when I go to

[1]: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Subproject

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
- Download link is repeated in each SCA, SDO, DAS boxes on the home page.
- Download link also shows up on  on SCA overview , SDO overview, .. pages

Suggestion:
- Move Downloads to the general repeating menu. The click on downloads in
general menu will take the user to a page that has links to the specific
project downloads.

Advantage:
Download will move to a general menu and shows up consistently on all other
pages as one navigates through the site.

I have added a link to the general menu to demonstrate what I am suggesting.

I'll remove the other  download links on the home page if others are OK with
this approach.

As a next step, we might want to have a separate detailed download page for
each subproject. For example, right now SCA download page has all releases
of C++ and Java and is a bit difficult to follow..

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks for the help Hernan,

This is really good stuff.

Simon

Re: Wiki cleanup : was : Website / Wiki was:Tuscany Logo..

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
For the static content (style and images directories) I would suggest you make that content available directly from /www/incubator.apache.org/tuscany/ on p.a.o
Eventually you will have to serve the HTML from this server anyway.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.