Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Tsuyoshi Ito <ts...@trialox.org> on 2011/03/16 17:08:41 UTC

website apache clerezza

Hi

I am working on the html prototype of the clerezza website. I want to
ask if somebody knows if there are any best practices on how to
deploy/maintain an apache website (xsite?). IMO most of the website
content is static and therefore does not have to be created
dynamically. Probably we have a news section and a download section
which should be generated dynamically (via continuous  integration
server) or feeded from our demo server.

However a first prototype is available under
https://incubator.apache.org/clerezza/spike/

feedback is welcome (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-448)

cheers
tsuy

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Henry Story <he...@bblfish.net>.
Hi all,

  Having the web site site https://incubator.apache.org/clerezza/ look good on first access
is really important, especially as I am telling everyone how interesting a project this is.

  So in my view it does not matter at all how this is done, as long as it looks good, the documentation is available there immediately, it is stable, and nobody can kill the server.

  Then the really interesting part is to see how the process can be guided by the pure html crowd. As far as possible those devs should have need to no tools other than an editor (vi is a must*) and a bunch of browsers. No JSPs, not complex language to learn. Perhaps server side includes are allowed. HTML and aesthetics are two fields that are complex enough to learn for anyone.

  How far can they go with the above, without this work getting tedious for them?

  For the documentation, my guess is that that's all that is needed. For more dynamic sites one would like to be able to get going from that somehow. But the burden should be on the code to fetch real working templates, cut them into pieces and display them dynamically.

  Then the interesting bit is how can the semweb make things simpler. Perhaps one can just describe a page as a bunch of templates, distributed around the web? One simple rdf file that points to a bunch of places, a server that fetches those and builds the views?

Currently the documentation is here I am finding out

  - http://localhost:8080/documentation/
  - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/clerezza/site/trunk/readme.txt

I'll look at that in more detail as soon as I fixed some issues in the code I am working on.

It should not matter in the end how documentation is written. The page for a component can have a seealso link to the mvn component for example. As long as the pieces are cleanly seperatable and nameable.

 Clerezza is not in my view mostly a CMS. It's much bigger than that: it's a key piece of the distributed social web. If it were just a CMS it would not be interesting: there are thousands of those already. The semantic web piece is interesting because it should allow us to get us all to collaborate a lot more easily.

   Just my 2 cents.

	Henry

* ;-) just trying to start an old religious war here. No Dreamweaver is what people at AltaVista used 10 years ago. I think they still do.

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.
Hi Tsuy

I'm happy to support you if you encounter problems with the current process,
this might also help improving the process.

Also with the current process it is possible to include static files, also
things get simpler thanks to CLEREZZA-INF/web-resources which causes static
files provided by bundles to be included in the offline site.

If you have architectural document you failed you publish I can add them for
you. I could also try doing an instructional video out of the process of
adding it :)

Just for the current discussion of changing the publishing process, I think
never reported problems (as well as the typo first reported in Marco's
recent mail) are very weak arguments.

Reto

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ito <ts...@trialox.org>.
Hi

RE: website apache clerezza

Posted by Marco Zaugg <ma...@getunik.com>.
+1 to Henry's, Tommaso's and Tsuy's post. Let's go with
static html files and use Clerezza in a second step.

Every additional day the current site is up and running
is a lost day as we simply do not attract new developers
to join.

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Henry Story <he...@bblfish.net>.

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.
Hi Tommaso and all,

I'm not sure if our bsd jail would actually be powerful enough to server
concurrent requests quickly enough, I haven't had enough time yet to play to
see how to best set it up but the first attempts looked rather
disappointing.

I think the obvious flaws of the current site are not a reason not to
proceed iteratively. Having a prototype is good to know in which direction
we want to go, now we should improve the actual site. I reckon the process
for publishing the site offers room for improvement, I think this
improvements will arise when we actually use it. In the process of using it
we will also learn about Clerezza from the user perspective. We will create
templates that we can use both on the site and on demo instances and that
might also show as how we can best improve (CLEREZZA-147) the default css
and renderlets.

I very much appreciate the fact, that now others are caring about the site
as well. I understand the wish to have the ideas of the prototype quickly,
however I think that after half a year of little activity (8 revisions all
by me) we must not fall into a blind activism. Our site shall be easy to
maintain so that it allows up-to-date information. Compromises on the
easiness of maintainability are only justifiable if they help us improve
Clerezza (as it already did by showing bugs in the stable serializer).

I think creating a style for Clerezza based on the design concepts in the
prototype would be the best next step. If we can use components of the
trialox CMS to make the editing easier (and closer to wysiwyg) that would be
great as well, but I find it a bit strange that after half a year that
nobody actually tried improving the site (concluding this from the lack of
commits or posts/issues describing failures) we should conclude that the
current process isn't practicable.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teofili@gmail.com

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>.
hi all,

I am against putting too much effort to produce only a few pages which do
not change often. Let's concentrate on the content rather than on the way to
generate those pages. IMO it is enough to have some nice looking static
pages with high quality of content. The use of clerezza instance for this
task would require much effort than actually needed.

regards
hasan

Re: website apache clerezza

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ito <ts...@trialox.org>.