Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stéphane Philippart <st...@prima-solutions.com> on 2003/12/12 16:51:47 UTC

Name of generated files

Hi,

I am in a case where I don't want version number on my deliverable files
but i want to be able to use the install targets to install my app in
the repository to refence the file with the dependency tag.

When I don't put a tag <currentVersion> in my project.xml (or put the
tag <currentVersion/>) the generated file are all with a '-' at the end
of the file name name, like foo-j.jar. How can i generate (and reuse in
depedency) files without '-' like foo.jar.

Steph

Thanks

Re: Name of generated files

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 10:51, Stéphane Philippart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in a case where I don't want version number on my deliverable files
> but i want to be able to use the install targets to install my app in
> the repository to refence the file with the dependency tag.
>
> When I don't put a tag <currentVersion> in my project.xml (or put the
> tag <currentVersion/>) the generated file are all with a '-' at the end
> of the file name name, like foo-j.jar. How can i generate (and reuse in
> depedency) files without '-' like foo.jar.

I really don't think there are many good reasons not to have a version
in the name of the JAR but in fact Maven itself does it to avoid some
bootstrap complexity. You can use the maven.final.name property to name
the produced artifact. Look at Maven's own build. But again as Emmanuel
said it's not recommended and certainly wouldn't be considered a best
practice.

> Steph
>
> Thanks

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Name of generated files

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
Agreed that it is probably best practice but if you want to you can
always over-ride the property (if provided) of the plugin you are using.
Read http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/index.html for more
information
Since you are creating a jar then you should look at the properties of
the jar plugin.
-Tim

Re: Name of generated files

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.