Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/22 06:09:16 UTC

SVN From Eclipse is too slow

Is it just me or is SVN itself mind bogglingly slow?

I am doing an Update on commons/jelly from inside eclipse 3.1M4 and it
takes a lot longer than CVS ever did.

Re: SVN From Eclipse is too slow

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/05, Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it just me or is SVN itself mind bogglingly slow?
>
> I am doing an Update on commons/jelly from inside eclipse 3.1M4 and it
> takes a lot longer than CVS ever did.

Maybe it's Eclipse? I just tried the same update using TortoiseSVN,
and it only took a few seconds.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: SVN From Eclipse is too slow

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 4/22/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> I actually went and tried it on Jelly... it seems a big jump up
> revisions takes a fair hit:
>
> $ time -p svn up
> At revision 164170.
> real 328.53
> user 1.01
> sys 3.42

That would be consistent with my experience.

[snip]
> Do you experience the problem continuously, or only after a long break?
will see what happens.

Re: SVN From Eclipse is too slow

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

I actually went and tried it on Jelly... it seems a big jump up
revisions takes a fair hit:

$ time -p svn up
At revision 164170.
real 328.53
user 1.01
sys 3.42

$ time -p svn up
At revision 164171.
real 21.48
user 0.73
sys 2.82

$ time -p svn up
At revision 164171.
real 4.44
user 0.64
sys 1.25

I suspect that a later switch to FSFS instead of BDB will assist with
this based on what I saw in the explanations in the back of the SVN
book, which I understand is intended after the minotaur OS upgrade.

Do you experience the problem continuously, or only after a long break?

- - Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

RE: SVN From Eclipse is too slow

Posted by Hans Gilde <hg...@gmail.com>.
The Eclipse SVN plugin is an abomination and should be wiped from the face
of the earth before it causes any more suffering.