Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Manish Shahdadpuri <ms...@sdrc.com> on 2001/03/05 18:36:27 UTC

Tomcat usability as a WebServer?

I am a new Tomcat user. As far as I understand, tomcat is also a  web
server in itself. Is it possible to use tomcat alone as a web server
without using any other WebServer e.g Apache etc.

Re: Tomcat usability as a WebServer?

Posted by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>.
"Brett W . McCoy" wrote:

> On 2001.03.05 12:36 Manish Shahdadpuri wrote:
>
> > I am a new Tomcat user. As far as I understand, tomcat is also a  web
> > server in itself. Is it possible to use tomcat alone as a web server
> > without using any other WebServer e.g Apache etc.
>
> Only if you are serving JSP and servlets and no static pages or standard CGI
> programs.  For that you will need Apache, iPlanet, IIS, etc.

I wouldn't put "static pages" in that list where you did.. For basic
use Tomcat serves "static pages" just fine...

Re: Tomcat usability as a WebServer?

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Brett W . McCoy wrote:

| On 2001.03.05 12:36 Manish Shahdadpuri wrote:
|
| > I am a new Tomcat user. As far as I understand, tomcat is also a  web
| > server in itself. Is it possible to use tomcat alone as a web server
| > without using any other WebServer e.g Apache etc.
|
| Only if you are serving JSP and servlets and no static pages or standard CGI
| programs.  For that you will need Apache, iPlanet, IIS, etc.

This is not entirely correct, I believe..

All tomcats can be used as fully functioning stand alone webservers. But
whether you'd want that or not is another question. Apache is faster on
serving static webpages. So you can tie them together..

CGI programs I'm not quite sure about.. But I guess you could make an
invoker or whatever it's called to do that too..

--
Mvh,
Endre

Re: Tomcat usability as a WebServer?

Posted by "Brett W . McCoy" <bm...@chapelperilous.net>.
On 2001.03.05 12:36 Manish Shahdadpuri wrote:

> I am a new Tomcat user. As far as I understand, tomcat is also a  web
> server in itself. Is it possible to use tomcat alone as a web server
> without using any other WebServer e.g Apache etc.

Only if you are serving JSP and servlets and no static pages or standard CGI
programs.  For that you will need Apache, iPlanet, IIS, etc.

-- Brett

http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Murphy's Law is recursive.  Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.

Re: Tomcat usability as a WebServer?

Posted by Steve Ruby <st...@rubysolutions.com>.
Manish Shahdadpuri wrote:

> I am a new Tomcat user. As far as I understand, tomcat is also a  web
> server in itself. Is it possible to use tomcat alone as a web server
> without using any other WebServer e.g Apache etc.

Yes... It just isn't recommended for high volume sites, as well as the
fact that there are configuration directives that can be perfomed
in Apache that aren't available in Tomcat. Tomcat is more "basic" as
a web server.

Re: Tomcat usability as a WebServer?

Posted by Kevin Sangeelee <ke...@susa.net>.
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Manish Shahdadpuri wrote:

> I am a new Tomcat user. As far as I understand, tomcat is also a  web
> server in itself. Is it possible to use tomcat alone as a web server
> without using any other WebServer e.g Apache etc.

I've used it in both situations and have been happy with each. Of course,
there's no percievable difference when accessing static pages on unloaded
servers, so one question becomes how many hits you expect.

Bear in mind that the bottleneck for many servers will be the line speed,
not the cpu or disk access times, so in many cases, your question becomes
academic (IMHO).

I don't think though that anyone would question the statement that Apache
as native code will always perform better than a JVM server. But if Tomcat
suits your needs (as it often does mine), who cares? Better keeping things
simple.

Kevin Sangeelee

p.s. make sure, esp. if you run Tomcat 3.2.x standalone, that you get the
latest version - there's an important bug-fix from version 3.2