Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/28 06:03:46 UTC

When is/should qf different from pf?

Hi all,

I have been using Solr for years but never really stopped to wonder:

When using the dismax/edismax handler, when do you have the qf different
from the pf?

I have always set them to be the same (maybe different weights) but I was
wondering if there is a situation where you would have a field in the qf
not in the pf or vice versa.

My understanding from the docs is that qf is a term-wise hard filter while
pf is a phrase-wise boost of documents who made it past the "qf" filter.

Thanks!
Amit

Re: When is/should qf different from pf?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
There'd be no point having them the same.

You're likely to include boosts in your pf, so that docs that match the
phrase query as well as the term query score higher than those that just
match the term query.

Such as:

  qf=text description&pf=text^2 description^4

Upayavira

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.