Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2021/01/12 13:24:47 UTC

Simplified PR acceptance with 'Squash and Merge'

Hi,

I realised that the workflow we're using to keep a linear history by
asking PR contributors to amend and force-push commits is sub-optimal.

The GitHub 'Squash and Merge' button actually does not create a merge
commit, so it does exactly what we need for PRs that contain a single
fix/feature:

- creates a single commit
- allows us to edit the commit title/description
- performs a fast-forward merge

Joerg's contribution at [1] was the guinea pig, and I was able to merge
it into a single commit.

I propose that we use this workflow from now on as it much simpler for
contributors.

I have updated the 'Git with Sling' [2] wiki page accordingly, and
hopefully made it a bit clearer in the process.

Please let me know of any concerns.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-servlets-post/pull/7
[2]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?pageId=75957583&selectedPageVersions=25&selectedPageVersions=26

Re: Simplified PR acceptance with 'Squash and Merge'

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.
+1 - sounds like a good idea.

Regards
Julian