Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com> on 2002/01/03 21:06:57 UTC

[Logging] has commons-logging had a release?

has commons-logging had a release?

(i'd like to know so that i can make sure that the STATUS.html is right).

- robert

RE: [Logging] has commons-logging had a release?

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Hi again Robert

hehehe

> to tell you the truth, i haven't looked at your stuff. my aim has been to
> fix the current commons-logging so that i can use it in betwixt and so
> that we can push towards a commons-logging release. my general feeling is
> that considering better solutions is a bit of a distraction until we've
> got something that we can use. since i got the impression from your
> original post that you were proposing a better solution, i decided to
> postpone looking at it.

I am using the stuff I sent. It works.

However, I think that the ILogger.getChildLogger() method should change or
be renamed to newChildLogger() and there is not setLevel() method.

It also misses the common configuration stuff (40% done) and a clean up
on the simple logging stuff. (I was thinking about removing the simple
logging until noticing that you have such class.)

Lets see if I go back to this in the next days.

> having said that, i will try to find time to take a look at it before i
> try to create a LogKit wrapper.

The wrapper code is from Avalon (as mentioned) but you will find the
wrappers faster in my package, since its smaller and has a "wrappers"
package. You can't miss it!
=;o)

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

Re: [Logging] has commons-logging had a release?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Hi Robert,

There is a LogKit wrapper in the stuff I posted a couple of weeks ago.
I am attaching again my logging package and the original message with
which I posted it. (I got NO comments about it.)

It comes straight from Avalon. You can find the same LogKit wrapper at:
    \jakarta-avalon\src\java\org\apache\avalon\framework\logger

You can also find a JDK 1.4 Logging API wrapper in both the attachment
and in Avalon (same code again).

As described in the attached message, I also have some additional
configuration stuff going on but I will only post it when:
 - I have some kind of positive feedback;
 - I really need it for myself.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Craig,

Repeating my previous answer there is already a very similar wrapper
at Avalon, both for LogKit and for the JSR-47.

More details (where) in that pevious post.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:12:28 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [Logging] has commons-logging had a release?
>

> On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 08:48 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:06:57 +0000
> >> From: robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>
> >> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> Subject: [Logging] has commons-logging had a release?
> >>
> >> has commons-logging had a release?
> >>
> >> (i'd like to know so that i can make sure that the STATUS.html is right)
> >> .
> >>

> > There has not yet been a 1.0 release.
>
> that's what i thought (so i don't need to change the STATUS.html :)
>
> > We should do one as soon as you're
> > done with the refactoring, and we're happy with it.
>
> the refactoring's done (but not really well tested).
>
> there are a few more things that need doing before we think about a
> release.
>
> the main task is creating a LogKit wrapper. any volunteers? (i don't mind
> having a go but i use log4j and would be learning LogKit from scratch.)

I'm going to do the JSR-47 wrapper, but don't use LogKit.

> - robert

Craig

Re: [Logging] has commons-logging had a release?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:06:57 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [Logging] has commons-logging had a release?
>
> has commons-logging had a release?
>
> (i'd like to know so that i can make sure that the STATUS.html is right).

There has not yet been a 1.0 release.  We should do one as soon as you're
done with the refactoring, and we're happy with it.

> - robert

Craig