Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Maisnam Ns <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/09 05:43:07 UTC

How to contribute to Drill

Hi,

I would like to contribute to Apache Drill, but before I contribute, would
like to know  a few of the standards used by Drill contributors.

As I am starting new, at the moment I have no knowledge of the codebase, so
I would like to start from fixing bugs or small code changes. A few
questions I would like to ask

1. Is it fine with other Drill contributors that if I find an unassigned
bug , can I assign it to myself and start working on it or do I need to
send a specific mail to any specific person if so to whom ?

2. I found a how to contribute to Drill section on one of the links that I
have seen but is there a Developer documentation so that I can speed up my
understanding of the codebase.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Regards
Niranjan

Re: How to contribute to Drill

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.
Timothy's blog post is still The Best description of the Drill work flow.
Highly recommended for every beginner.
http://tnachen.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/lifetime-of-a-query-in-drill-alpha-release/

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hey Niranjan,

Posted by Maisnam Ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Yash, I appreciate your suggestions.

Regards
Niranjan

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maisnam Ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
 Yash , Timothy and Ted,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maisnam,

It's definitely welcome to grab to anything unassigned, and in fact
you're free to grab anything that's assigned but have no activity for
a while.

All the documentation we have should be in the wiki, part of is also
the architecture diagram to help you understand how Drill is setup. I
also drew a diagram in the past when I did the talk about Drill
internals, although some things have changed the overflow should be
still relevant (http://tnachen.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/lifetime-of-a-query-in-drill-alpha-release/)

Tim