Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Sam Redai <sa...@tabular.io> on 2022/03/31 00:37:46 UTC

Meeting Minutes from 03/30 Iceberg Sync

Hey Iceberg Community,

Here are the minutes and recording from our Iceberg Sync that took place
today on *March 30th, 9am-10am PT*.

Always remember, anyone can join the discussion so feel free to share the
Iceberg-Sync <https://groups.google.com/g/iceberg-sync> google group with
anyone who is seeking an invite. The notes and the agenda are posted
in the live
doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YuGhUdukLP5gGiqCbk0A5_Wifqe2CZWgOd3TbhY3UQg/edit?usp=drive_web>
that's
also attached to the meeting invitation and it's a good place to add items
as you see fit so we can discuss them in the next community sync.

Meeting Recording ⭕
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R2FeJ6dKIumb0ie-kDgFStlTrJcBBdlx/view>

   -

   Highlights
   -

      UPSERT stats bug was fixed (Thanks, Kyle!)
      -

      Overwrite supports isolation levels (Thanks, Szehon!)
      -

      Flink classloader issues are fixed (Thanks, Yi!)
      -

      Files, data_files and delete_files metadata tables in Spark (Thanks,
      Szehon!)
      -

      Also welcome Szehon as a Comitter!
      -

   Releases
   -

      0.13.2 patch release – PR #4415
      <https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/4415>
      -

         Waiting on backports and second UPSERT bug fix
         -

      0.14.0
      -

         Runtime Jar LICENSE updates (for Rest Catalog)
         -

         Snapshot expiration with branching/tagging
         -

         Nessie namespace support (
         https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/4385)
         -

         Add support in remove orphan files for existing actual files
         dataframe
         -

         Drop support for Flink 1.12
         -

      1.0.0
      -

         Consider compliance with semver
         -

         Another option is the versioning strategy used by Trino (every
         release is a major release)
         -

         For now, we’ll move to 1.0.0 and determine the patterns at the
         next release
         -

         Requires binary compatibility where we’re making API guarantees
         -

   Agenda
   -

      ECS and Hadoop Catalogs
      -

         Hadoop Catalog use has been discouraged for years
         -

         Should we officially deprecate the hadoop catalog?
         -

      Deprecating support for older Flink versions
      -

         Flink upsert patch doesn’t work on Flink 1.12
         -

         Significant changes in the table API
         -

         Agreement that we should remove support for Flink 1.12 in the 0.14
         release
         -

      Making removal of orphan files reliable (issue #4346
      <https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/4346>)
      -

      Location ownership (issue #4159
      <https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/4159>)
      -

      CDC design (issue #3941
      <https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/3941>)
      -

      Column id resolution in parquet:
      -

         The motivation of doing this is to support parquet’s column index
         filter in iceberg
         -

         A design doc will be shared with the Iceberg community for review

Thanks everyone!