Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/28 08:46:07 UTC

Tracking subproject liveliness (was Re: Tracking commons component liveliness)

On 7/27/05, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I have a big problem with putting people's names beside projects
> > and components on a public web page. Besides being yet another
> > thing that needs to be kept up to date, it will only encourage
> > people to contact the developers directly, instead of using the
> > mailing lists. From my own perspective, this is a huge problem
> > already, and I'd be -1 to anything that's going to further
> > exacerbate it.
>
> ...in general I find the idea not too bad.
> But Martin is right - putting names to projects
> is bad in general.
>
> What about a slight modification - what if
> every jakarta sandbox committer is required
> to report back to the *PMC* what sandbox he
> is working on? (lazy feedback of course.
> no feedback not working on anything)
<snip/>

Changed the subject since this also applies to other sub-projects in
Jakarta as well; outside Commons.

I think we should find a middle ground. There's something to be said
about transparency as well. A biannual(?) vote maybe, of the type:

<biannual-vote>
Subject: [VOTE] Active projects within Jakarta foo

I intend to contribute to (while we understand these are only best
guess estimates):

[ ] subproject bar
[ ] subproject fubar
</biannual-vote>

Only +1s next to subproject names, a subproject that doesn't get a
minimum number of votes (2?, even 1?) gets archived.

IMO, while this brings the process in plain view, the possibility that
this causes a surge in the traffic in personal mailboxes is probably
not high.

-Rahul