Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/07/07 20:28:55 UTC

Re: locating the james build failure

Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Just before the error - ant is reporting that it is dropping a bunch of
>>phoenix references because the gump outputs are not found - and
>>logically as a consequence we hit the error concerning the class not
>
> found.
>
> Good point. Looks like two absolute paths are being concatenated there.

Yep.

>>Phoenix is a packaged project - not a gumped project. Perhaps we have a
>>problem with the avalon-phoenix project definition?
>

> Hmm, if you look at this:
>

> http://brutus.apache.org:8080/gump/james-server/james-server/details.html#Classpath
>
> You will see the classpath settings Gump is providing, and they look
> correct.

Agreed.

> Does the build.xml attempt to calculate paths itself? Does it rely upon
> properties?

James is a reasonably complex animal all wrapped up in a single
buildfile with more than a few idiosyncrasies (some of which I'm
responsible for (during a previous life)).

I'm going to setup a build in jams which is just the core compile and
I'm going to strip back the gump definition just to the necessary deps
to get a compile complete.  After that we can escalate thing upwards.

I'm cc'ing server-dev@james so the guys know that for a while it will be
somewhat of a construction zone.

Cheers, Steve.