Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by carl latimer <co...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/27 11:46:39 UTC

Cocoon efficiency and .jar files

Hi, I am a member of a small group developing a web site using Tomcat and
Cocoon and we are having some problems with the efficiency of the site. We
were wondering if all of the lib jar files for Cocoon were loaded into
memory, by default, on start up or whether they are loaded into memeory as
and when required? Any thoughts people?

Thanks, Carl.

Re: Cocoon efficiency and .jar files

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
carl latimer dijo:
> Hi, I am a member of a small group developing a web site using Tomcat and
> Cocoon and we are having some problems with the efficiency of the site. We
> were wondering if all of the lib jar files for Cocoon were loaded into
> memory, by default, on start up or whether they are loaded into memeory as
> and when required? Any thoughts people?

Hi Carl:
------------------------------
WARNING: I am not a Java guru. Beaware of that. :-D
------------------------------

AFAIK, when required, 1 or 2 versions before we also introduced a new tag
to enhance a little bit the jars:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=107191286311968&w=2

Hope this answer your question.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Cocoon efficiency and .jar files

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 27.02.2004 13:34, Geoff Howard wrote:

> However, if you are using a "kitchen sink" build of cocoon with lots of
> blocks that you don't use and lots of poolable sitemap components
> (generators, transformers, serializers) that you don't use but have
> pool-min above 0 you are going to have lots of them loaded because of
> the avalon lifecycle.  This will translate to memory use you don't need.

Somebody mentioned some time ago that the above is not the case. He
reported that the pool is not initialized before first use even if
pool-min > 0. (I might be wrong, just from my mind.)

Joerg

Re: Cocoon efficiency and .jar files

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Vendredi, 27 fév 2004, à 13:34 Europe/Zurich, Geoff Howard a écrit :

> ...Finally you need to evaluate whether your own application design is
> the problem.  Possible culprits:
> - doing lots of(heavy) xsl transforms in a pipeline
> - creating dynamic xsp
> - lots of uncacheable pipelines with heavy processing
> - big xml files or sources
> - reading from remote sources (using http:// protocol in src in your
> pipelines)
> - xml files with dtd references if you don't use the entity catalog
> (each dtd will be looked up across the network during processing).

To which I'd add some output formats which are much more expensive to
generate than others: PDF, bitmapped images for example.

-Bertrand

Re: Cocoon efficiency and .jar files

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
carl latimer wrote:

> Hi, I am a member of a small group developing a web site using Tomcat
> and Cocoon and we are having some problems with the efficiency of the
> site. We were wondering if all of the lib jar files for Cocoon were
> loaded into memory, by default, on start up or whether they are loaded
> into memeory as and when required? Any thoughts people?

In general, no I think that Classloaders load on demand.

However, if you are using a "kitchen sink" build of cocoon with lots of
blocks that you don't use and lots of poolable sitemap components
(generators, transformers, serializers) that you don't use but have
pool-min above 0 you are going to have lots of them loaded because of
the avalon lifecycle.  This will translate to memory use you don't need.

Also check your logging level which drags down performance and all the
other recomendations on the "performance tips" page in the docs.

Finally you need to evaluate whether your own application design is the
problem.  Possible culprits:
- doing lots of(heavy) xsl transforms in a pipeline
- creating dynamic xsp
- lots of uncacheable pipelines with heavy processing
- big xml files or sources
- reading from remote sources (using http:// protocol in src in your
pipelines)
- xml files with dtd references if you don't use the entity catalog
(each dtd will be looked up across the network during processing).

Try using the profiling pipeline for some testing - it could help turn
up some culprits.

HTH,
Geoff