Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2017/09/22 13:46:38 UTC

Announcing the "Incode Platform"

Over the last few years we (Dan, Johan and Jeroen) have developed a number
of addons and supporting modules, originally at http://www.isisaddons.org and
later also at http://catalog.incode.org .  Each of these modules had their
own repo and example app demonstrating their usage, and each were versioned
independently (being re-released each time a new release of Apache Isis
came out).

We've now decided to combine these into a single repo, which we're calling
the "Incode Platform".  This can be found at http://platform.incode.org,
with the github repo at http://github.com/incodehq/incode-platform.  The
license remains the same as Apache Isis itself, ie Apache License v2.0

Why do this?  A few reasons:

1. to make it easier for developers to get started with more working
"out-of-the-box"

Taking a bit of inspiration from Spring Boot's starter app, the new
platform comes with a "quickstart" archetype (based on the Apache Isis' own
simpleapp), but with security, auditing, commands, gmap3 etc already
integrated. It also is set up to build as a docker image by default, for
example.  See  http://platform.incode.org/quickstart/quickstart.html for
more info.

2. To make it easier (hopefully) for others to contribute and improve.

The platform includes a lot of stuff around documents, communications and
commchannels; these could undoubtedly be improved, and I'm sure that there
are many other generic subdomains that could be added.  One that springs to
mind is tasks, for example.

3. To make reduce the ongoing maintenance by only having a single example
app to maintain, rather than many.

It will still be possible to consume individual modules, ie to
"pick-n-mix"; each are published to Maven Central independently of the
others.  Indeed, none of the module groupId:artifactId's have been changed
(yet, at least), just to make it easier to cut over.  One difference though
is that the modules will be versioned together: releasing one module (eg as
the result of a bug fix) will mean that all the others will be re-released,
even if they haven't changed.  The change log (
http://platform.incode.org/pages/change-log/change-log.html ) now
consolidates all modules.

So, please do explore this new resource, and try out the new quickstart
archetype.  If you find issues then log them at
https://github.com/incodehq/incode-platform/issues , but you are welcome to
flag them here as well.

Thanks
Dan, Johan and Jeroen

Re: Announcing the "Incode Platform"

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Thanks for the kind words, Oscar.

Cheers, Dan.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Óscar Bou - GOVERTIS <o....@govertis.com>.
Hi Dan, Johan and Jeroen.

s:  <http://www.govertis.com/>www.govertis.com <http://www.govertis.com/> e: o.bou@govertis.com <ma...@govertis.com>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/oscarbou <https://www.linkedin.com/in/oscarbou>
Twitter: 	@oscarbou <https://twitter.com/oscarbou>

Este mensaje y los ficheros anexos son confidenciales. Los mismos contienen información reservada que no puede ser difundida. Si usted ha recibido este correo por error, tenga la amabilidad de eliminarlo de su sistema y avisar al remitente mediante reenvío a su dirección electrónica; no deberá copiar el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona.

Su dirección de correo electrónico junto a sus datos personales constan en un fichero titularidad de GOVERTIS ADVISORY SERVICES, S.L. cuya finalidad es la de mantener el contacto con Ud. Si quiere saber de qué información disponemos de Ud., modificarla, y en su caso, cancelarla, puede hacerlo enviando un escrito al efecto, acompañado de una fotocopia de su D.N.I. a la siguiente dirección: GOVERTIS ADVISORY SERVICES, S.L. Avda Cortes Valencianas, 58 – 8º - 6ª. 46015 - Valencia,  y Paseo de la Castellana, 153, 28045 - MADRID. Asimismo, es su responsabilidad comprobar que este mensaje o sus archivos adjuntos no contengan virus informáticos, y en caso que los tuvieran eliminarlos.

Re: Announcing the "Incode Platform"

Posted by Óscar Bou - GOVERTIS <o....@govertis.com>.
Hi Dan, Johan and Jeroen.

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

One item not on your list is to better promote the capabilities of Apache
Isis as a framework, not insignificant! Just having the 'Incode Platform'
as an entity will assist in that I feel.

I have just in the past week started a small experimental project which
relates to promoting cooperation, this has a tasks at its core and I'd be
happy to help in getting that feature into the Incode platform. I think it
would be a good feature to have, people have look at the Notes and wanted
Tasks.

https://github.com/stevecam62/cooperation

Steve Cameron