Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/18 19:37:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Submitting small PRs rather than massive ones

Hi All,

Recently there have been some PRs with massive changes which include
multiple JIRA tickets.

It is getting tougher to review and also to back port changes if needed.

To help reviewers to help review the changes lets try to submit small
but often PRs to make it easier to review.
Not to mention Github UI suffers with diff changes over 200 files and
thousands lines of code changes =)

When committing to ASF git it should be fine to combine one day of
work but PRs should as isolated as possible.

Exception such as new module like Gelly or ML maybe ok, but others
that require changes to the execution flow should be done if smaller
batches if possible.

Thanks,

Henry

Re: [DISCUSS] Submitting small PRs rather than massive ones

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, renaming totally will contain large file changes.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 to  that, Ufuk.

Making JIRA more descriptive and contain design would make it better
to review b4 jumping to the diff in the PRs.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Great suggestion and observation Max.

+1 Yes, we should also splitting PRs into right and logical commits
that will definitely help with review.
Like you said some PRs are just large in nature and splitting it into
pieces may not work well so doing right commits should go hand in hand
with small PRs as necessary.

When I mean by smaller PRs is to make sure one PR try to solve one
logical issue at a time.
If we can split it into smaller PRs, by designing your solution
propoerly, it would help history management better. Think of it as one
agile sprint story =)

- Henry

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.