Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/04/03 04:39:08 UTC

[Vote] Move plugin site.xml up to Maven or Shared

Currently only plugins get a nice looking skin that matches the main
maven.apache.org page because the site.xml exists in the plugin project.
Other things like shared get a homely looking default skin. I see two
options here:

1.      Move the site.xml up to the maven pom. This is preferred so that
all submodules of maven can get the standard skin and override it if
they choose.

2.      Copy the site.xml over to the shared pom. This is less intrusive
but doesn't cover all submodules that come along.

Vote:

[ X ] Move to Maven Pom

[ ] Copy to shared

Vote is open for 72 hrs.

Re: [Vote] Move plugin site.xml up to Maven or Shared

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Brian E. Fox wrote:
> Currently only plugins get a nice looking skin that matches the main
> maven.apache.org page because the site.xml exists in the plugin project.
> Other things like shared get a homely looking default skin. I see two
> options here:
>

> 1.      Move the site.xml up to the maven pom. This is preferred so that
> all submodules of maven can get the standard skin and override it if
> they choose.

+1

But I think that we might need to loose a couple of things from it
first. The body part contains links that are not used in the main maven
site, only on other parts of the maven site. The same goes for the
reports menu. I'm not sure about the head section either.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [Vote] Move plugin site.xml up to Maven or Shared

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@exist.com>.
+1 Move to Maven pom

Posted by Patrick Schneider <ps...@gmail.com>.
+1 Move to Maven Pom

Posted by John Tolentino <jo...@gmail.com>.
 +1 [ X ] Move to Maven Pom

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.
apart from the css glitch it seems good.

Andy

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 08/04/2007, at 1:12 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I'm not familiar enough yet with the site and related tech to know how
> to fix this. It seems like changing the skin isn't what we want,
> somehow
> we need to tell site not to make these externalLinks.

The Maven site overrides this in a custom site.css.

> Also, the plugin and shared sites should have the version and
> published
> date as they currently do. However when you add the breadcrumbs, you
> can't seem to force them to be on the far left. I think the version
> and
> published date should be to the right of the breadcrumbs to make
> everything consistent.

I don't think those belong there. I'd go with the bottom left of the
page instead (though I don't think the version is appropriate to the
main maven site).

- Brett

RE: [Vote] Move plugin site.xml up to Maven or Shared

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/04/2007, at 7:28 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> Binding: +6(Brian, John, Dennis, Brett, Jason, Emmanuel)
> Non-Binding: + 3(Andy,John T, Maria)

John T is a PMC member - is there an out of date reference somewhere
that doesn't list him?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Brian E. Fox a écrit :
> Currently only plugins get a nice looking skin that matches the main
> maven.apache.org page because the site.xml exists in the plugin project.
> Other things like shared get a homely looking default skin. I see two
> options here:
>

> 1.      Move the site.xml up to the maven pom. This is preferred so that
> all submodules of maven can get the standard skin and override it if
> they choose.

+1

Emmanuel

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm in favour of 'moving' it up. I think you'll still need this
site.xml though it'll be mostly empty (maybe add breadcrumbs?). The
TODO's already in there tell that story.

We'll also need to do a maven pom release after that change.

- Brett

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2 Apr 07, at 10:39 PM 2 Apr 07, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> Currently only plugins get a nice looking skin that matches the main
> maven.apache.org page because the site.xml exists in the plugin
> project.
> Other things like shared get a homely looking default skin. I see two
> options here:
>

> 1.      Move the site.xml up to the maven pom. This is preferred so
> that
> all submodules of maven can get the standard skin and override it if
> they choose.

+1

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 for moving to the Maven POM