Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> on 2000/11/24 15:15:18 UTC

hyphenation

Is anybody working on hyphenation in Fop?

Fotis

Re: hyphenation

Posted by Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca.
Quoting Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>:

> Fotis Jannidis wrote:
> >
> > Is anybody working on hyphenation in Fop?
>
> Yes, I am. Or I was ... I haven't had much time lately, been pretty
> busy at work. I haven't done much since I announced it to this list
> more than a month ago. What I have, is the Hyphenator, which is the
> core piece, however, I still need some utility classes such a factory
> class, a configuration reader and other things in order to plug it
> into FOP. Those things are not done. In the case of configuration/
> properties reader, I was waiting to see what is decided, there have
> been some discussion in the list about it. I was also waiting for
> some typesetting books, specifically Knuth's about line-breaking.
> I found that implementing TeX's optimizing algorithm is going to
> take some time and requires to rethink the whole BlockArea/LineArea
> classes, so I had decided to add it to FOP's current greedy
> algorithm with the risk of producing lots of hyphenation, but so
> people can test it.
> I have now some time to spend on this. I'll be working on these
> glue classes. If somebody wants to help, I think the configuration
> stuff will benefit others as well.
> I do intend to donate the code, but I want to submit something
> fairly complete, it's kind of a personal thing!
>
> Carlos Villegas
> Uniscope, Inc.

Hi, Carlos

Glad to hear you're still working on it.

Complete is good, but don't worry too much about the polish. We stand to gain
much more from hyphenation code that's rough around the edges and available,
rather than beautiful code that nobody has seen yet. :-) I definitely buy into
the open-source philosophy that you pump code out there that works, hence
enabling other collaborators, and down the road it'll get refined.

As they say, perfection is the enemy of progress.

Hope to see the Hyphenator soon. :-)

Arved Sandstrom

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server,
 with technical resources provided by Chebucto Community Net.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/         http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/

Re: hyphenation

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>.