Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dmitri Plotnikov <dm...@apache.org> on 2003/01/25 04:06:45 UTC

[VOTE] JXPath 1.1 Release Plan

I am calling for a vote on the JXPath 1.1 Beta Release Plan.

Rationale:

1. We released JXPath 1.0 in July 2002.  Since then we have added some new
features,  fixed a significant number or problems, refactored and beefed up
the JUnit test system.  The package has been very stable for quite some
time.  Please see draft release notes at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jxpath/release-notes-1.1.html

2. Most if not all JXPath users have long switched from the 1.0 release to
one nightly build or another.

3. Some users face deadlines on their projects and have repeatedly requested
a formal release of JXPath 1.1 that can be incorporated into their
respective releases.

The timeline of this release plan is as follows

As soon as we have enough votes we release JXPath 1.1 beta 1, which would be
based on the current snapshot without any significant modifications.

>From this time until release, the main focus will be on documentation and
addressing newly discovered bugs. There is one know issue that needs to be
addressed: the Maven build does not copy test resources properly, so some
JUnit tests appear to be failing.  If you need to build jxpath right now,
either use the traditional Ant build script or copy the Vendor.xml file by
hand.

New betas will be issued weekly, as necessary, to address issues arising.

Feb 17 [Monday]

Depending on the stability of the Beta, the Release Manager will call for a
vote to adopt the latest beta build as the 1.1 release. In any case I
believe we should have a stable beta for two weeks before the release vote
will be called, so this date is somewhat flexible.

I volunteer to be release manager for this release.

Thank you,
Dmitri Plotnikov.
dmitri@apache.org

Let me start with my vote